Position of whirlpool arm.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuckaMooHudda

Reaction score
Switching from a 15 gallon boil kettle to a 20. Also adding some bells and whistles. So.......

Does the height of the whirlpool arm matter? If so, state your case. Explain where you have placed yours and why.

Let the debate begin. (Pictures would be great):rockin:

I'm also moving from 15 - 20 or 26. After boil off, chiller and pump loss it's tough to get a good 11 gallons from the 15's.

I have just been whirlpooling via tube over the top of the kettle. It strikes me as logical to have the chiller return the cooler wort as close to the top as possible to avoid a stratification of wort temps since the hottest wort will rise to the top. If I go with an arm one day I'll do my best to get an adjustable setup to accommodate boil volumes for 1, 1.5 & 2 hour boils for sure.

I think I am going to anchor it near the top, that way I can use any size tubing to adjust it to any height. I may cut arms to 3 different lengths to see if there is any difference. High, middle and low. I have about 40' of stainless steel tubing to spare so I may as well experiment. I will eventually post any findings on this thread. Anyone who has already done this, your input would be greatly appreciated.

If you're whirlpooling with any modest velocity to actually create the whirlpool appearance shouldn't that action prevent any stratification because the solution is in constant motion?
The majority of whirlpool returns I've seen usually place it in the bottom third or so of the kettle. I route mine along the bottom just after the drain valve flowing away from the drain.

you want to have your whirlpool arm ABOVE the surface of the wort. This helps create a more vigorous whirlpool and also aerates the wort more. Check out a youtube video for "Brew Boss Whirlpool Demonstration". It compares using their whirlpool device above and below the surface with water and just particulates in order to visualize the whirlpool effects

you want to have your whirlpool arm ABOVE the surface of the wort. This helps create a more vigorous whirlpool and also aerates the wort more. Check out a youtube video for "Brew Boss Whirlpool Demonstration". It compares using their whirlpool device above and below the surface with water and just particulates in order to visualize the whirlpool effects

Not sure where I come in on the HSA debate but wouldn't that orientation of the whirlpool arm create significant aeration and be avoided if one were to believe in HSA at the homebrew scale?

I dont believe in HSA because I whirlpool for an hour with every hoppy beer I do. During this time, I cant even see the surface of my wort due to the foam from my whirlpool. Its a giant green foamy mess every time. Ive never had any issues with HSA from this

Back