Portioning yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Lopez

Reaction score
Evening everybody,
As I'm still pretty new here, I haven't started making 5G batches yet, and am still on 1G batches. Since the yeast packets seem to be geared towards a 5 gallon recipe, how do you make the measurement in grams (as the packet is measured in) precise without a scale/balance?

I did a quick google search and used a teaspoon, and it seems to be fermenting well enough with plenty of yeast left. Thanks.

I would do 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of juice.

I just used this site: Grams to Teaspoons Converter

to do a conversion of grams to teaspoons for yeast. One gram of yeast is 0.21 teaspoons. Rounding up to something more useful would be:

One gram of yeast= 1/4 teaspoon

The general rule of thumb (for wine yeast) is one gram of yeast per gallon of juice.

Therefore we get 1/4 teaspoon of yeast per gallon of juice.

I don't know if this translates to the same thing for brewing yeast like S04.

They say you can use the whole packet (which is good for 5 or 6 gallons) in one gallon. I usually apporttion it out (out of cheapness more than anything), but I've never been too particular about exact amounts. Yeast is a living organism, and if it's happy, it will reproduce, and if it's not, it won't. So if it's reproducing it will "fill up" the space. Just my thoughts..... (Not that I really know.)

Back