Porter with Peat Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barão

Reaction score
HEY...what do you think of this recipe with Chateau Whisky Malt...Peat

Attachments

• Captura de tela 2023-09-18 111545.png
    Captura de tela 2023-09-18 111545.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
Whisky malt ist usually just a fancy name for distillers malt which is just a lower quality pale malt with lots of enzymes. No smoke in there usually.

While there are smoked malts found in many beers, I can't say that I've seen a positive review of beer made with peated malt. I find this interesting due to the number of people who enjoy a Hot Scotchy on brew day. Maybe the sugar content of wort just works better. Use sparingly.

"Our Château Whisky malt is smoked during kilning with the best Scottish peat."

The peated malt I have used imparts too strong of a peat flavor into porters I have made when the peated malt was 3% of the grist. Note that I don’t enjoy heavily peated scotch.

I have found that up to 5% of the grist of beechwood smoke malt gives a firm smoke flavor to my smoked porters.

This is my experience for my taste. I agree use peated malt sparingly.

There is a German brewery called Störtebeker which makes some nice and some ok beers. But one beer of theirs is just utterly disgusting unless you like to drink an ashtrey. That one is their so called scotch ale. It obviously has nothing to do with a scotch ale as scotch ales are not peated, but whatever sells I guess.... that one is heavily peated and just tastes like an ashtray. My cousin actually enjoys that one, so although hard for me to imagine, it might be a question of personal taste.

Anyway, my two cents is, stay away from peated malt. Always.

Just to compensate for thinking about that one, I am going to brew a cream ale tonight, as light as possible. Cheers! :D

I did a peated red rye that was only 2% peat smoked malt, and it was plenty smokey. 10% seems like it might be overkill. But, from what I have heard, smoked malts vary widely as to how strong the smoke flavor is, so it really depends on how smokey your malt actually is. Might be better to start with less than you think you need. If it isn't enough, you should at least get a drinkable beer from your experiment. If you use too much on your initial attempt, you may just get a dumper.

Brew on :mug:

For what it's worth, I cold-smoke the dark grains in my Smoked Porter recipe. I use applewood chips soaked in Irish whiskey, smoke the wetted grain for about 3-4 hours. I then dry it out in the oven at low temp ~200F overnight. I age it in the refrigerator for about two weeks and then brew.

I used to add 4oz peated malt to my standard porter recipe - which works out to ~2.4%. It was sufficiently smoky, but not too strong. I also love smoke and have a different threshold than most, so take it with a grain of salt. More recently I used cherrywood smoked in a much larger percentage and like the results better.

I'd just brew a nice porter and then hit each glass with a shot of Lagavulin. Peat: ☑️. Kind of a Scottish Boilermaker, if you will. :mug:

Last edited:
I did a smoked dark IPA some years ago that |I used a pound of peat smoked in a roughly 15 pound mash - so that's what, 7.5%|? it was a good 3 years before the peat faded out enough to be drinkable. Obviously the hops were long gone by then, so I called it a smoked porter.

I bought some lightly peated malt when I first started brewing, intending to use it in a porter. I've been too scared to use it because of all the horror stories. I should probably compost it at this point.

Latest posts

Back