Porter: roasted Oak chips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davevjordon

Reaction score
I have only my second Porter fermenting. Been brewing for two years now (I always make IPA’s)
My first Porter was surprisingly outstanding!
I’d love to hear from anyone who has ever used Oak chips in their beer.
From what I’ve found from other brewers, I plan to add 2 oz of oak chips (5 gallon batch) for 7 days.
Any experiences?
Thank you.

I've done a max of 3oz chips(in 2oz whiskey) for 9 days. Plenty of oak flavor that is mild and not over done.
Home toasting chips is a fun experiment too for unique flavors

I have only my second Porter fermenting.

From what I’ve found from other brewers, I plan to add 2 oz of oak chips (5 gallon batch) for 7 days.

With this being only your second porter how will you know if this turns out better than the same porter without the oak chips? I'd be thinking of perhaps letting this porter complete and get it into bottles, then make another to oak so you can compare the two. JMHO

With this being only your second porter how will you know if this turns out better than the same porter without the oak chips? I'd be thinking of perhaps letting this porter complete and get it into bottles, then make another to oak so you can compare the two. JMHO

Yeah, I won’t know. Ordinarily, I do 10 gallon batches and split that between two fermenters. That would be a perfect scenario to compare with and without Oak chips.
I just wanted to hear from anyone who’s used wood chips in their beer to get an idea from their experiences. And this was only a 5 gallon batch, so: one fermenter. Oak chips have been in for two days now. We’ll see.

What you plan sounds reasonable. My understanding is that oak chips can impart "wood" flavors very quickly (vs cubes, spirals, etc.) but 2 oz is a pretty small amount. Advice I have heard is to grab a taste sample every few days. I will say, that things I have read generally prefer other types of wood over the chips, but I have very little first hand experience with wood in beers.

What you plan sounds reasonable. My understanding is that oak chips can impart "wood" flavors very quickly (vs cubes, spirals, etc.) but 2 oz is a pretty small amount. Advice I have heard is to grab a taste sample every few days. I will say, that things I have read generally prefer other types of wood over the chips, but I have very little first hand experience with wood in beers.

The Smoked Porter turned out AMAZING! I had to bottle some so I have it available for an upcoming competition, or the keg would’ve gone empty. The smokiness turned out subtle, on the way back end, like 5 seconds after you take a swig. I did 7 days in the fermenter. Had to buy more Oak chips, because I’m definitely doing that again, with the Porter I currently have fermenting. Loved it so much, I had to follow it with a 10 gallon batch!

I’d recommend the use of oak cubes over chips.

Also for the best info I’ve ever found on homebrewing with oak I’d highly recommend the second half of The Brewing Network Sunday Session with Shea Comfort from way back on 11.23.08. It’s invaluable. First part is great too. Talks about brewing beer with wine yeast. Second half is all oak. Probably the most fascinating Session ever in my book.

Back