"Pop Rocks" like mouthfeel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFH

Reaction score
A few months ago, I went to a beer tasting at the local Total Wine & More and one beer stuck in my mind (although I can't remember the name of it for the life of me). The one thing that stuck in my mind the most was the mouthfeel and the carbonation. My first drink felt like I had a mouthful of Pop Rocks on my tongue, and I've been trying to figure out how to recreate that mouthfeel without any luck.

Anyone got any advice or info?

I think what you're describing is due to the high carbonation level of the beer... Duvel for example. Look up the recipe for a Duvel clone and what carbonation levels would be appropriate for the style. This link will help too so you can achieve the high carb without the need for a really long beer line.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure-your-short-hose-troubles-100151/

Can you describe anything else about the brew besides "Pop Rocks"?

Low body and outrageous carbonation are the only things that come to mind.

Can you describe anything else about the brew besides "Pop Rocks"?

Low body and outrageous carbonation are the only things that come to mind.

Honestly, that's all I can remember. I lost the tasting notes sheet that had the actual name of the beer.

I don't know what style of beer you had but this is my two cents.

The first thing that comes to mind is carbonation level. The beer you tried could have been very highly carbonated creating a good amount of carbonic acid which can give a beer that "bite" you are describing.

Maybe you were experiencing astringency as well.

Or possibly it was infected! :)

Over-carbonating is easy so I would start with that. Astringency, well, I'm not quite sure how to get that. I know that oversparging and boiling grain husks can cause that. Obviously, it's not usually a desirable trait so maybe that's not it. If it was infected just sneeze in your beer! Ha...just kidding...maybe it had a little lacto or something in it in which case adding some lactic acid or something might do the trick.

Again, these are all guesses based on what I might perceive as "pop rocks"y mouthfeel...

My very first stab at brewing produced a "pop rocks" sensation on my tongue. It was a Brewer's Best English Brown Ale Kit. I think part of it was due to high carbonation, and the rest due to Willamette hops.

BoogieBrandBooze said:
I don't know what style of beer you had but this is my two cents.

The first thing that comes to mind is carbonation level. The beer you tried could have been very highly carbonated creating a good amount of carbonic acid which can give a beer that "bite" you are describing.

Maybe you were experiencing astringency as well.

Or possibly it was infected! :)

Over-carbonating is easy so I would start with that. Astringency, well, I'm not quite sure how to get that. I know that oversparging and boiling grain husks can cause that. Obviously, it's not usually a desirable trait so maybe that's not it. If it was infected just sneeze in your beer! Ha...just kidding...maybe it had a little lacto or something in it in which case adding some lactic acid or something might do the trick.

Again, these are all guesses based on what I might perceive as "pop rocks"y mouthfeel...

I've had my Berliner Weisse (for those who don't know the style: extremely low grav, light body, and deliberately infected with lacto) fermenting for about 2 months now, and it's interesting you mention lacto because I got a similar sensation when sampling it, though I described it as a "prickly" mouthfeel in my notes. It almost seemed like it was carbonated (though it wasn't fermenting under pressure), but at the same time it was obviously different.

It's my first batch with lacto, so I'm not sure if that's typical or not, but the fact you mentioned it is certainly interesting.

Back