Poorly Named Thread #432: Yeast Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverendBeer

Reaction score
Ok, so...I made an Old Ale a few months ago...all went well. No serious issues in brewing--OG 1.085. No issues during fermentation--though I did let it go a bit long (5 weeks--racked at 2 weeks) and undershot my target FG by 10 pts (1.011)...meh. No issues during bottling. Sanitization was the order of the day. Tried some a few weeks later and it was good, but young.

Months pass...four, to be exact.

I decide, the other day, to see how it's doing and pull one out of the storage closet (stays a constant 60 degrees or so, year 'round), hold it up to the light...I look through the main body...nice, clear...solid conditioning cake at the bottom. Then I look at the neck...A RING! and it makes a bit of a cloud when I give it a jiggle! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. *darthvader.jpg* I look at all of them....they all have it!

"Ok," say I, "let's see how bad it is..." and pop the lid. Carbonation the same as the ones I tried a few weeks after bottling. Quick sniff. No infection-y smells. Nothing sour. Huh.

Pour the neckbeer into glass and it looks...familiar. Like I've seen this before. Like bottle dregs. Smell it...Yeasty. Try it....yeasty. Huh.
Fill rest of glass and drink as usual. Seems fine, except it's incredibly yeasty smelling and tasting. Regular ol' yeast, too...not brett.

So, it seems, I have yeast that thinks it's bacteria, or bacteria that thinks it's yeast.

Anyone heard of this before? And more importantly, is there anything I can do to get rid of it in what I've already got?

Huh? Your beer definitely is infected...with the yeast you used to ferment it. Aside from some poor flocculation, nothing here sounds terribly unusual. Stick 'em in the fridge for a few days. The yeast should drop out.

Back