Poor efficiency IPA... add extract or let it ride?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovineblitz

Reaction score
Due to a stupid miscalculation plus a slightly lower than normal efficiency, my IPA wound up at 1.061 with 85.1 IBUs... I was planning for it to be about 1.072.

Think I should boil up some extract or sugar, or just let it do its thing? I'm a little worried it's going to be far too bitter.

The hops were all added at 25min and below.

range for IPA is 1050 to 1075. 1061 your in the low middle OG & high on hops. Let it ride, without seeing recipe & if you will bottle or keg... time tempers hops if you can wait.

dry hopping with a sweeter floral/fruity hop may help too, bang the nose helps take some off bitter.

Here's the recipe

12lb US 2-row (should have been 14 but I used an old recipe as the base and didn't check the volume)
1lb Vienna
0.5lb Crystal 40
0.5lb Carafoam
3oz Acidulated malt (to drop pH to 5.49)
5oz Simcoe (12.2%) added continuously from 25min-0min
1oz Simcoe dry hop
S05

OG: 1.061
IBU: ~85.3

I bottle so some hop character will fade.

Had the exact same thing happen to a double batch of Yoopers DFH 60 minute clone a buddy and myself brewed last night. We let it ride and plan to get plenty drunk in about a month off of it.

Sounds like most of your hop additions are flavor/aroma rather than bittering. At this point I think I'd just let it go. The flavor might be a bit out of balance but as starrfish said the hops should mellow with time.
Just a suggestion, I keep some light dme on hand for these situations. I check the gravity 15 minutes before flameout, if it looks like I'm going to be low I can toss in some dme to boost it up.

Sounds like most of your hop additions are flavor/aroma rather than bittering. At this point I think I'd just let it go. The flavor might be a bit out of balance but as starrfish said the hops should mellow with time.
Just a suggestion, I keep some light dme on hand for these situations. I check the gravity 15 minutes before flameout, if it looks like I'm going to be low I can toss in some dme to boost it up.

Yeah I'm going to start doing that soon, I see a refractometer in my near future... too much of a pain to try and do that with a hydrometer.

The additions are all in the flavoring range but since it's 5oz of hops they'll still add a good amount of bitterness... if it's a smoother bitterness though I suppose it'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back