poor Attenuation WLP400

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braumeise

Reaction score
So, we are talking my third batch - no4 is still in the fermentor.

I did not hit the OG.
Started with 1.030, fermented at 67°F for almost 5 weeks now.
Bottled yesterday.
Gravity is 1.015 which makes for a apparent attenuation of only 49%...

I did research on that yeast and did as some people suggested "swirl" the bucket after audible signs of fermentation decreased ....

Will bottle batch 4 today, this one seems slightly better but I started of with 1.048 on that one...

Any ideas why I keep brewing ultra-light beers here?

What are we looking at for recipe and process? Extracts often finish higher, or mash temp too high if going all/partial mash and the low OG would be a result of too much initial dilution, poor mash efficiency if using grain, and/or an insufficient boil.

I love this yeast. My average attenuation with this yeast is 75-80%. It might be an extract problem, either that or a recipe problem. Try getting recipes from a different source. Learn much more about extract brewing here:

extract-beginnerrulesofthumb.png

Copy and paste this image into Word in landscape, then print and enjoy.

What are we looking at for recipe and process? Extracts often finish higher, or mash temp too high if going all/partial mash and the low OG would be a result of too much initial dilution, poor mash efficiency if using grain, and/or an insufficient boil.

All Grain, no extract not bags :)

My Conversion was extremely poor in the first two attempts due to various mistakes.

3rd attempt my conversion was better, but I still ended up not hitting the OG.

4th batch I did hit the OG the recipe suggested, will bottle today and take final gravity reading.

Yet batch no 3 seems pretty "messed up"

I love this yeast. My average attenuation with this yeast is 75-80%. It might be an extract problem, either that or a recipe problem. Try getting recipes from a different source. Learn much more about extract brewing here:

extract-beginnerrulesofthumb.png

Copy and paste this image into Word in landscape, then print and enjoy.

I refuse to do extract brewing :) German house wife pride speaking here :)

Do you keep using the same yeast? Perhaps try a Wyeast equivalent.

Also, make sure you really aerate your wort.

I get great attenuation from the Witbier strain, so I think if the yeast is healthy, it shouldn't be a problem.

Have you made a yeast starter?

Do you keep using the same yeast? Perhaps try a Wyeast equivalent.

Also, make sure you really aerate your wort.

I get great attenuation from the Witbier strain, so I think if the yeast is healthy, it shouldn't be a problem.

Have you made a yeast starter?

No starter.

Liquid Yeast. Bought fresh and stored for 4 days in fridge, let warm up to room temp before pitching.

I did aerate the wort.

4th batch went from OG 1048 to FG 1020 - apparent attenuation of 57%

hmmm................

I always used the same yeast from the same HBS.

That is crazy. I forgot something very very important though:

Are you using a hydrometer to measure final gravity, or a refractometer? A hydrometer should be very accurate; however, a refractometer does not work properly with alcohol! Refractometers are wonderful tools, but if you use it for final gravity measurements especially, you need to enter the results into a correction formula. See here:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/

So for your latest beer from 1.048 to 1.020, what you actually have is 12 Brix to 5 Brix, which in the calculator gives you a final gravity of not 1.020 but rather 1.008!

I hope that's it. Otherwise, you've been mashing too hot and didn't know it. Maybe just need to recalibrate your thermometer in boiling water, or take a lot more temperature measurements at different spots in your mash tun and take the overall average. I measure my mash temps in at least 3 or 4 different spots and take the average, because it can vary, a LOT.

Hope this helps!!!!

P.S. It's not a starter thing, don't worry much about that, unless your yeast was friggin old and dead for some reason. Use reasonably fresh yeast and this will NOT happen.

I actually use a hydrometer.

The mash Temperature IS an issue. I know that.
Just bought a new Thermometer.

Will see what the nex batches come out like AND bought adifferent yeast this time.
So we will see.

Thanks for helping me out here :)

Back