Pomegranate Beer Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaMedic

Reaction score
Hey folks, my buddy's fiance wants a pomegranate beer, I've never done a fruity beer before so I'm looking for a little help with this recipe. I was thinking a lighter ale or lager and adding pomegranate juice into the fermenter with the wort. Thoughts and suggestions? I am still extract/partial mash only, haven't gone all grain yet.

When I made my pomegranate ale I did a cream ale and added pomegranate extract after primary fermentation finished. Came out great, and the beer turned pink. Second time I made it I used juice and too much of it, gave it a wine taste. Just remember a little will go a long way with the extract.

When I made my pomegranate ale I did a cream ale and added pomegranate extract after primary fermentation finished. Came out great, and the beer turned pink. Second time I made it I used juice and too much of it, gave it a wine taste. Just remember a little will go a long way with the extract.

I'm going to juice the pomegranates and add that and the seeds (the sweetest part I'm told) to the secondary I think. Thanks for the advice, may I ask how much juice you used that was too much?

I'm not sure if this is true for pomegranates, but most other fruits, the seeds can leave weird flavors behind, especially with stone fruit.

I primed an Irish Red last year with a 4oz. bottle of POM. Nicely carbonated, beautiful color, but there was a weird bitter off-flavor. I wound up tossing most of the bottles after 6-8 months. Remember that fruit sugars are 100% fermentable and what you're left with is whatever the fruit tastes like without sugar. Hopefully it would be better added earlier in the process.

I ended up going with pom extract since we couldn't find any pomegranates, used 1 dram of extract into the secondary. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back