Poll - Wyeast 3724 - Worth the hassle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyeast 3724 - Worth the Hassle?

• Love it!!!

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Great yeast but I wish I didn't have to babysit it

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • There's alternatives that are higher on my list

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I've had mixed results... just too inconsistent

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Way too finicky - I vow never to use again!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ListerH

Reaction score
So after one tremendous experience and one more difficult one (during the winter I just couldn't get my ambient temperature high enough and got the infamous stall at 1.024)… I wonder what other people's thoughts are on 3724!

My temperature control environment allows me to cool but not heat... so trying to get this yeast going for me involved finding the warmest corner of my house and wrapping the fermenter up in a warm jacket.. still to no avail!
A water bath was probably my only other option but since getting my chest freezer fermentation chamber rigged up, I have problems convincing my young lady that fermentation is a good use of the tub!

You've got two choices. Wait it out, or heat it up. As odd as it may sound, get it up to 85F or 90F and it should fire right up. If you have to, wrap a heating pad around the fermenter.

When you are in the Saison world, the whole "ferment cool" thing goes right out the window. That strain (as well as white lab's equivalent) has been messing with peoples minds (and pissing them off) for years. There's been a zillion whacky ideas on how to avoid the "saison stall" (open chambers, no airlock, incense, oxygenating, special dances and incantations, adding more yeast) because very few people will accept the fact that most Saisons are fermented hot and that strain wants to be warm and toasty. It's spec'ed at 70F to 95F and trust me, 70F is the absolute minimum and takes the fermentation down to a hibernation level crawl.

An alternative would be 3711. It doesn't have the full "funky" flavor profile of 3724 but is tolerant to lower temps and will easily ferment distilled water and old gym socks.

Last edited:
I've only got a couple of brews under my belt, but my second beer (first all grain) was a Saison with 3724 and it turned out awesome. I fermented it for a month in my garage during the summer (so like 86 degrees). I get major compliments about the beer when people have it so yeah it's worth the wait.

Be warned, 3711 is a diastaticus strain! It's a great strain and lots of fun to brew with but you need to be extra thorough with your sanitation to prevent cross-contamination when brewing non-saison batches. The combo 3724+3711 is a proven winner; 3724 gives great flavors and 3711 ensures a dry finish. Get a seedling heat mat on amazon (~$15) and wrap it around your fermenter with a couple layers of reflectix to insulate, and crank up the heat. Good luck!

Be warned, 3711 is a diastaticus strain! It's a great strain and lots of fun to brew with but you need to be extra thorough with your sanitation to prevent cross-contamination when brewing non-saison batches. The combo 3724+3711 is a proven winner; 3724 gives great flavors and 3711 ensures a dry finish. Get a seedling heat mat on amazon (~$15) and wrap it around your fermenter with a couple layers of reflectix to insulate, and crank up the heat. Good luck!
A lot of the Saison yeast blends include both.

I haven't directly experimented, but 3724 is supposed to be super pressure sensitive- open fermentation will supposedly prevent the stall while avoiding the need for extreme temps.

In the past I've used a heated electric blanket around the fermenter and its done the job.

I prefer 3726 and 3711, but I also love 3724. Haven't really tried a saison strain I dislike, including Belle.

3724 is an awesome yeast. I've pushed it all the way to 100°F. It just can't seem to get enough heat.

Not sure which way to go here - I love Saisons, haven't had 3724 stall yet 3-4 brews), but haven't gotten the earthiness funk or spice that I crave from it, either. I get lots of fruitiness - might need to pitch lower or just move on from it.

I'll try that. First one was in the mid 80's. The last one was in the fall - probably only upper 70's.

3711 will react the same way, but have higher attenuation and higher flocculation.

I used 3724 on a 1.052 pale wort. With in a week and a half it was down to 1.006. I did an open fermentation. All I used was a piece of foil to cover the bung hole. Started cold for 2 days 62-64. Brought it inside in the warmest room to ramp up to 80-82. Seem to ferment well. I did make a 1 liter starter. I’m about to add white peach purée to it in the next couple days.

I used 3724 on a 1.052 pale wort. With in a week and a half it was down to 1.006. I did an open fermentation. All I used was a piece of foil to cover the bung hole. Started cold for 2 days 62-64. Brought it inside in the warmest room to ramp up to 80-82. Seem to ferment well. I did make a 1 liter starter. I’m about to add white peach purée to it in the next couple days.
Sounds tasty!! Be sure to post your resilts!

Back