Is my yeast past its "use by date"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalkyt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My cider seems to have stalled.

I started two batches of cider using unpasteurised juice from a reputable orchard because my own apples were spectacularly unsuccessful (like none!) due to the drought, bushfires, and a generally horrible summer down here in Oz.

The batches are mixed Pink Lady and Granny Smith with OG of 1.055 and 1.060 (due to the different mixes 60/40 and 40/60). The plan was to use WLP775, but at the last minute this couldn't be delivered as postal services have been substantially delayed due to everyone in Covid lockdown buying stuff on line.

So, I had a 6 months old packet of SO4 which I had taped up, and decided to use it. The yeast had been kept in the fridge and was rehydrated and added to juice with some DAP added. It seemed to behave normally so was added to the juice and after a couple of days the usual turbulent foam formed on top. After 10 days I transferred the cider into carboys. It is quite clear and all of the sediment was very compact on the bottom of the fermentation buckets.The SG at that stage was 1.020 for one batch and 1.015 for the other which I propped up a bit with AJC.

But, there is nothing happening... no bloop, bloop, bloop at all from the air locks and no change in SG after a couple of days. I struck this sort of problem a few years ago with WLP773 and a warmer environment seemed to fix things. It has been quite cold, below 10C, so I brought the cider out where it was a bit warmer at 12C-15C, but still no change.

I wonder if the old yeast just wasn't up to the job or hasn't continued fermenting due to the low temperature. I do have some new SO4 coming in the mail but it will be a few days yet, as the mail is still quite slow.

Any advice or opinions are welcome, including thoughts about pitching the new yeast. I was planning on using these ciders to do some work on heat pasteurising in order to get a slightly sweet, slightly carbonated cider.

Warm it up more. I don't think a yeast that's made to ferment between 15°C and 20°C will do good at 10°C. You're fermenting at lager temps and that can easily explain the low attenuation. I'd place it in a warmer room for a few days and see if the gravity goes down. If not, pitch another packet, but keep it warm this time.

Back