Poll time! What alcohol to soak some oak..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• Bourbon soaked oak

• Rum soaked oak

• Port soaked oak

• Port soaked oak with brett

Results are only viewable after voting.

dpatrickv

Reaction score
So, I made a "Imperial Brown Ale" the other day with a bunch of random stuff I either hadnt used in forever or wanted to get rid of. Essentially "kitchen sink"

OG turned out to be 1.100. SA05 yeast. Mashed at 154.

12 lb American - Pale 2-Row
2 lb American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt)
2 lb American - White Wheat
1 lb American - Vienna
1 lb Belgian Candi Syrup - Dark
1 lb Flaked Barley
0.5 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L
0.5 lb German - Chocolate Rye
1 lb Brown Sugar

1 oz Nugget Pellet 14 Boil 60 min
1 oz Nugget Pellet 14 Boil 20 min
1 oz Galena Pellet 13 Boil 10 min
1 oz Nugget Pellet 14 Boil 0 min
1 oz Galena Pellet 13 Boil 0 min

Now, I plan on oaking this, but I'm in a dilemma on what to do exactly as I cant decide between a few options. So, I decided to allow you find gentleman to help. :mug:

Option 1
Bourbon soaked oak - Classic, traditional oak bourbon(y) goodness.

Option 2
Rum soaked oak - Who doesn't enjoy a nice glass of good caribbean rum every now and then. I think this would play well with the candi sugar and brown sugar.

Option 3
Port soaked oak - Ive done a couple beers on port soaked oak and have loved how they turned out, although, Im unsure how this will play with this recipe.

Option 4
Port soaked oak.....with a healthy dose of brett. - Ive done a lot with Brett the last few months and I think this would be a perfect beer to pair with some brett as theres going to be a ton of residual sugar left over.

Well, after throwing this in the keg and taking a sample, it's definitely going on some rum.

Back