Poll - recirc biab stats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I thought it might be useful to collect some stats for those who are doing recirculation with their BIAB setup. I have read many threads on the topic but nothing that really just tracked some of the key stats. I was thinking of something like this:

Equipment : CO Brewing Nano - 20g kettle
Bag/Basket : Basket, solid sides, mesh bottom
Recirc : stainless steel arm that attaches to basket
Crush : 049
Typical Sparge : 0 (full volume)
Typical Mash Efficiency : around 65%

If you can think of other key stats to include please do so. It would be great if forums like this had an option to edit a shared spreadsheet.

Last edited:
Subscribed

Equipment : 16gallon kettle
Bag/Basket : Bag, voile
Recirc : stainless steel fittings + silicone hose + locline
Crush : To be confirmed (TBC)
Typical Sparge : 0 (full volume)
Typical Efficiency : To be confirmed (TBC)

Equipment : 15 gallon Brew Boss
Bag/Basket : Basket (COFI)
Recirc : stainless steel fittings + silicone hose
Crush : Not sure, but double crushed from HB store
Typical Sparge : 0 full volume
Typical Efficiency : 73% but only first brew

If you can think of other key stats to include please do so. It would be great if forums like this had an option to edit a shared spreadsheet.

Just a point of clarification. You don't specify what efficiency you're recording. This is going to cause a lot of confusion at some point unless you fix it soon.

I'd recommend polling the group for a few efficiency numbers. Conversion efficiency, lauter efficiency, and what's termed "Pre-Boil efficiency" in Brewer's Friend. (see link)

http://cdn.brewersfriend.com/understanding_efficiency_large.png

I'd completely skip Brewhouse efficiency as it is completely dependent on how much wort you leave in the kettle. For those that dump everything in, there is no reduction in efficiency for kettle losses and you'll be comparing apples and oranges.

Latest posts

Back