Poll: Are you a musician?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a musician?

• Yes. I am a musician.

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just looking through some pics and had a thought - How many of us are musicians of some sort? Musician includes any instrumental or vocal capabilities...

not professionally, no. but I voted yes because played trombone for 8 years (into college), plus I fiddle with the drums and guitar, and I'm not afraid to show my vocal skills in rockband after a few shots of evan williams :)

I was in a band years ago, and used to play guitar until I went overseas for a while, came back, and found someone had run off with all my guitars. Sorta took the wind out of my sails.

not professionally, no. but I voted yes because played trombone for 8 years (into college), plus I fiddle with the drums and guitar, and I'm not afraid to show my vocal skills in rockband after a few shots of evan williams :)

ugh, just thinking about evan williams makes me what to yack again. I had a horrible experience with evan williams in a chaser jigger glass and lots of lemon chello when I was 19

I was in a band years ago, and used to play guitar until I went overseas for a while, came back, and found someone had run off with all my guitars. Sorta took the wind out of my sails.

I will help you find this thief and we will do unspeakable things to this person.

I voted yes. I've played bass for ten plus years and just started banging around on the drums in the last few months. I suck at both but it's a good outlet.

Bands come and go. I've played guitar since I was about 4 years old, literally. My first song was 'Smoke on the Water'. I am about 45 years old now, so that gives you some idea of how long I've been playing.

Rock On.

I will help you find this thief and we will do unspeakable things to this person.

Let me tell you I truly appreciate the sentiment, but I have come to grips with my loss at this point. Although, I had a couple of guitars that are pretty much irreplaceable so that part still gets to me. A Gretsch model that I didn't know and that I've never seen another one of, and a Zion Telecaster each worth $2k+.

I'm a music producer / mixer and run my own studio here in Colorado. I also pretty much play all the typical rock instruments.

I love my job. That being said, I which I could get out of the studio and brew more :mug:

I am a guitarist, and I have been playing for 21 years. I play at my church regularly now and I at one point I played in a regional band and recorded/released 3 CDs.:rockin:

I hit those bucket looking things.

I just recently found one of our songs on YouTube - someone in Romania made the video. Weird.

Any Final Fantasy nerds should appreciate it, it's about Aeris in FFVII.

Last edited by a moderator:
Resophonic guitar and West African djembe, 5 years each, though my primary instrument is trad-style didjeridu (10 years).

Poll will be skewed as non-musician will skip it.

Cello but the only music I don't like is jazz. More into High Octane rock (Slipknot, Korn, Disturbed, Avanged Sevenfold . . . . and I'm 55)

Former musician. I played bass guitar in a band long ago and used occasionally play guitar when recording. I didn't make enough to support myself but enough to have some extra spending cash. I haven't touched a guitar in nearly a decade.

I played most styles of guitar (folk, rock, classical, jazz) for nearly 15 years until my wife and I started a family. Then it all just went to the side, and my Guild sat in the basement for nearly 15 years. I'd touch it about once a year.

About a year ago, I traded it for a pretty nice classical guitar (Cervantes Hauser) and have been re-learning classical. It's difficult, but I'm really enjoying it. Just wish I had more time, and wasn't so lousy - my fingers don't seem to work as well now that I'm an old fart.

Ive been a percussionist for 19 years now. I mainly do marching percussion. Its actually what I do for a living. Im the percussion director at a local High School. I teach the drumline, and indoor percussion program. I also teach for a Drum and Bugle corps out of Toledo OH, The Glassmen. Drum Corps is basically professional marching band. But no woodwinds. Only brass, percussion and colorguard.

I voted yes only because there wasn't a No, I'm not a musician but I play other people's music. Made a run at a bar band but it became too much like a job and not "fun."

Guitar, bass, banjo, mando, uke, harmonica, autoharp, mountain dulcimer, piano, vocals, cornet (everything a trumpet wishes it was :mad:) little plastic guitars on videogames, and a mean set of spoons when family gets together for a kitchen party...

love the laminated neck Rick500!

Been playing guitar since I was 15. Played in a high school band, and nothing really since. Went to a studio a few times 3-4 years ago, singing in a Screeching Weasel cover band. I originally thought we stopped doing it because "those guys were lazy". I've since come to grips with the fact that I shouldn't be singing around others.

Today, I dabble on my 74 Les Paul. Not much more.

I love music and can hear when a note is missed, but I do not play. I did do guitar for about a year but I kept setting it down for one day, then two, then a week...

Did some drumming when I was younger, but I think too much about what I'm doing to be good at it.

Some would say I am a musician. I would disagree. I sing okay, play guitar and bass at a barely passable level, stumble my way around a keyboard and dabbled at one point with drums. I also write and record my own music. It is, mostly likely, quite terrible, but I voted yes anyway.

Not a musician, but married to a very talented one. My wife plays organ (she's the organist and choir director at our church), piano, flute, recorder, clarinet and dabbles on the guitar. She's also a fairly accomplished singer.

Lessee ... been through music school, spent most of my 20's working at being a professional musician in New York (playing mostly jazz, but lots of other types of music too - r&b, African, Brazilian, rock, etc), taught a lot of lessons, made a few records, so I guess yes.

Of course, now I have a kid, and am lucky if I get to pick up an instrument once a week. So that "yes" has probably got to be tempered some...

I started out in 4th grade playing the oboe. In my teens, I realized how... well, let's just say playing the oboe was not the image I was looking to portray. So, I picked up the guitar.

Through the years I collected several guitars, a Vox AC-30 amp, a lot of signal processing equipment (rack and pedal), a bass and amp, and a midi-controller/keyboard. I've done some of my own stuff, played in a band or two, but always kept in mind I needed a more reliable career.

Today, my equipment sits in a room and everytime I look at it I want to play it, but never seem to make the time.

Back