Polishing Kettle Internals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davealicious

Reaction score
So, My setup uses 3 SS brewtech kettles, if you're familiar with them, the insides are pretty roughly finished (or, not at all) and I constantly get a small amount of build up, requiring a good scrubbing after every brew (even when circuilating nearly boiling PBW through a CIP ball for 20-30 minutes)

My question, as I can't seem to find much information about people doing this, is would there be a downside to sanding smooth and polishing the interior of say, the mash tun and boil kettle? obvious my HLT doesn't need it as it only circulates water.

I'm just thinking, a day's worth of work polishing the inside to a mirror finish may reduce my cleaning time in subsequent brews.

Reason I went with SPIKE kettles. They are a bit more expensive but far better quality.

I gotta say I'm surprised that there could be a kettle so rough that a hot PBW soak or recirculation doesn't leave everything sparkling. Along with general rig cleaning I use hot PBW to fry my SS spider immaculately clean...

Cheers!

I gotta say I'm surprised that there could be a kettle so rough that a hot PBW soak or recirculation doesn't leave everything sparkling. Along with general rig cleaning I use hot PBW to fry my SS spider immaculately clean...

Cheers!

hmmm.. defining sparkling may be slightly different, Its clean for sure, but its not perfect like brand new.

and Sconnie, not everyone has the luxury of examining different brands of kettles in person prior to purchase. I wouldn't call SSBrewtech's kettles of poor quality in the least though.

Back