PM Flavor Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrflake

Reaction score
I've been consistently getting what I'd describe as a harsh bitterness in my partial-mash finished product--seems to show up regardless of style (pilsner to porter) and while it isn't enough to ruin the beer altogether, it definitely detracts from the overall experience. Would this most likely be a water issue or something else in my process?

I've been consistently getting what I'd describe as a harsh bitterness in my partial-mash finished product--seems to show up regardless of style (pilsner to porter) and while it isn't enough to ruin the beer altogether, it definitely detracts from the overall experience. Would this most likely be a water issue or something else in my process?

If it's across all beers, it sounds like a water issue.

I'd suggest trying one batch with 100% reverse osmosis water (from those big "water machines" at the grocery store or in places like Wal-Mart) and seeing if that fixes it.

If its water, tablets "may" help, but I'm wondering if it's more likely your process. Try RO or distiller water. If you still have a problem it's either your sanitation or your temps.

I'll fourth it on the water. I have high carbonates in my water, and until I took steps to reduce them, my beers had a harshess to the bitterness that I did not like. It would age out, but it meant an extra month of aging. You could try all bottled water, or a little cheaper, go with half tap, half distilled

Latest posts

Back