PM at night then brew in the morning??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you may be tempting fate but i think it's been done. i would worry it would start fermenting overnight. not sure how that will affect taste.

are you planning to keep in the fridge and then boil the next day?

are you planning to keep in the fridge and then boil the next day?

I guess i could. I'm just bored atm and don't want to go full tilt until tomorrow. I'm just chomping at the bit to use my new AG setup. I would have brewed today but SWMBO had me doing some back yard fixes.

It's been done a lot and is even suggested for people doing to partial boils. Heard it on a podcaste with . . . . . Palmer I believe. do the PM and break everything into two. Boil one half and pitch - boild the other half the next day and add it to the first.

Basically the same thing.

I've done the mash in the morning, finishing around noon, and then started my boil after the kids are in bed and things calm down - around ten o'clock. Not a problem. But I would recommend two things:

1. After the mash and getting your sweet wort, heat it to 180 degrees for at least ten minutes. This will denature the enzymes and stop them from converting ALL of your starches and leaving you with a too-fermentable and thus too-dry/no-body beer. It should also kill almost everything that can live in it.

2. Cover the your pot with a sanitized lid and leave it alone. Don't open it. Don't look at it. Don't breathe on it. If you can refrigerate it that would be good. If not, well I haven't had any problems yet.

I know, it is not the preferred method - but you have you make beer with the resources you have - and that includes time and schedule.

I hate letting things just sit like that, tho. Once I've started, I don't stop until the yeast is pitched and the fermentation container is sealed. I have had some pretty late nights due to this, making for a pretty rough workday the next day. Cause of that, I try to do my brewing on Saturday (I rarely ever work weekends) so I can just crash sunday if my brewing session goes on longer than I expected.
Sadly, I'm busting my own rule this weekend -didn't manage to get started saturday, and now its going to have to be done sunday (technically this morning -though I need to get some shut-eye first) -got a 10gal "kitchen sink" porter batch to get through (I call it that because its a basic porter recipe, and I toss in any grains or extracts left over from previous brewing sessions -if its not in the sink, its in the porter (grin)). I've put off my brewing for two weekends now, and really need to get this stuff going. Going to be a LONG sunday. I'm doing split-batches because I wish to try some changes -like to brew one batch I know is good (tried and true) the other will have some changes that will become part of the recipe if it proves worthwhile.

Latest posts

Back