Plumbing schematic software for mac?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuertele

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What are people using to draw plumbing schematics? What do process engineers use?

I suppose I could hack away with a generic drawing program, but it seems like there should be a specialized design tool out there, with icons for the various kinds of valves, heating elements, heat exchangers, pumps, and other misc equipment that generally gets plumbed in various systems. A plumbing or process engineering design tool should be able to help with things like dimensioning and BOM writing.

I did some googling but didn't come up with anything that looked promising. Any suggestions?

Holy crap, I would never pay 1375 for autocad... check around for some open source alternatives (aka: free)... just a quick google gave me http://www.osalt.com/autocad

I looked at each of those packages (Archimedes, QCad, BRL-CAD). The only one that looks like it could possibly have support for process engineering is QCad, but I haven't been able to find libraries for it.

$1375 is out of my budget. I could afford maybe $300 to spend on something like this. It sure would be awesome to find an open-source process engineering design tool. I've been googling, but nothing has claimed specific support.

are you looking for like 2d plumbing design?

Yes, "2d plumbing design" sounds like what I want. I would prefer it to be something that a process control engineer might use to design a beverage processing plant. But what I want is probably far out of my budgetary reach. I suspect there is something that is more affordable for independent plumbing or HVAC desingers (for example, something that could be used to do radiant floor heating designs).

Back