• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wisconsin Automated Gas Fired Brewery, 10 Gal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heapyjeepy

Reaction score
It has come time to sell my "Beer Machine" and begin Rev. B

I designed and built this (semi) Automated Brewing System during my mechanical engineering degree and have come to terms that I must move on to the next project. This machine has offered me many hours of entertainment designing, building, redesigning, rebuilding and finally brewing. I can't count how much Ive spent on it but it was worth every hour and dollar. I am asking $2,800obo for this entire system as you see it. Here are the details:

Process:
  • Heat Strike Water: Heat water in 1st keg (HTL, far left)
  • Transfer into 2nd keg (MT, middle)
  • Mashing: Recirculate the HOT 1st keg through heat exchanger Side 1, While Recirculating 2nd Keg through heat exchanger Side 2
  • Drain Mash: Drain Keg 2 into Keg 3 (BK, far right). Begin Heat on Keg 3
  • Sparge: Transfer water from Keg 1 into Keg 2
  • Boil: Keep heat on Keg 3
  • Chill: 2 Options: Ice or Recirculate Tap Water. I plumbed in a counterflow tap water chiller but that is all with manual valves.
  • Ferment: Pour out directly into a 5 gallon pale or a carboy.
  • Clean: Tipsy dump makes easy cleaning of the spent grains. Clean-in-place cycle on the controller
Volume
  • 10 Gallon Batches (3 Keggles at 15 gallon each)
Heat
  • Honeywell Furnace Control Valves
  • Gas pilot lights
  • Natural Gas or Propane option
  • Custom designed and TIG welded HLT bottom for optimized boil time. No joke 10 gallon to boil in 15 min.
Plumbing
  • (4) 1/2" KLD Electronic Valves
  • ***BROKEN*** Counter Flow Heat Exchanger. I didn't drain the plumbing enough water frozen in the heat exchanger breaking the copper. I was going to get a Chillzilla or Plate heat exchanger but this needs to be replaced.
  • (2) Chugger pumps
  • Inline Supply Water Filter
  • (2) 3 Piece control valves w/ custom handles
  • Quick Disconnects
Controls
  • Brewtroller Controller v2.6, Uses an older version of the Brewtroller (link below) that allows you to run it on an Android, Apple, or Web interface. It is all customized with altering the C++ based program by copy and paste from the interwebs. **This was added AFTER my graduation**
https://brewtroller.com/
  • 120v AC, 24v DC, 5v DC
  • DS18B20 Digital temperature controllers
  • Custom Etched Circuit board with relays
  • LCD Display
  • (8) 3-Way Switches (ON, OFF, Auto)
  • Rotary Selection Dial
  • Wifi Ready
Volume Control
  • (2) Pressure Sensors on HLT and BK each
  • Volume Measurement with Temperature Compensation; As the temperature increases, the pressure in the pressure sensor line increases. This throws off the sensor and gives you a bad volume measurement. To defeat this an aquarium air pump pushes air through a "T" near the sensor and then to the bottom of the keg. This sends a constant stream of bubbles into the keg and past the controller which averages the pressure to get a good measurement on the true volume value as the temperature increases.
Mechanics
  • Tippy Dump that WORKS AMAZINGLY!. I love this design.
  • Frame has extensive finite element analysis done on it to hold 40 gallon kegs fully loaded with only .015" deflection in the frame. Made of 1.25"x .065" square welded steel
  • (4) Swivel Casters w/ brakes
phppuwrlLPM.jpg

phpLjuFmCPM.jpg

phprSUKbPPM.jpg

phpP3Xee0PM.jpg

phpbqflULPM.jpg

phpYtTAE7PM.jpg

php4LcTFGPM.jpg

phpZaaAgXPM.jpg

phpOQdsc8PM.jpg

php8oBrzqPM.jpg

phpeAH1frPM.jpg