plumbing help: toilet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalobrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got up the other night and the toilet tank was draining into the bowl. No problem I say, I can fix this with a new rubber stopper (older style, no flapper). Still leaked, damn. Put a new valve in and it was defective, the tank would fill to the point where water would flow into the tube. Put another new valve in and it's good, but the bowl still has a small current flowing from the tank. I shut off the supply valve and sure enough the tank drains in a few hours.

So i've been though two rubber stoppers and two valves. Valve seems good now, but the seal on the bottom of the tank and the stopper seems bad. there are only two operating parts to the toilet, the float valve and the stopper. THis can't be that hard!

Any ideas how to fix this?

I have an antique toilet in one of my bathrooms. When I decided to reuse it, I took it apart and noticed the brass lip at the bottom of the tank where the stopper seals was pitted. I just sanded it down by rubbing on a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface. It has worked fine for the last 10 years. Maybe that helps?

Latest posts

Back