Plum wine hazy in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkuhl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I made a gallon of plum wine, like 2-3 pounds of plums, pectic enzyme, water to fill. Carboy looked clear and actually sat clear and still for about two weeks with some small layer of sediment at the bottom.

Bottled today and got very hazy wine though. I was not expecting that, because of how clear it was in the carboy.

I'm wondering if in future batches I should have racked to a third carboy (this was after the first racking from the fruit) or used sparkalloid, or both.

This is what it ended up looking like:

IMG_0058.jpeg

You can either put it back into a carboy with some sparkolloid, or you can set it on the shelf and wait. I'd go with the sparkolloid.

Out of curiosity, did you siphon that out of the carboy into the bottles, or did you try pouring it?

It was siphoned, I didn't think it'd pick up much of the sediment on the bottom.

I don't wanna put it back in the carboy, I'd have to uncork the bottes and it'll expose them to more oxygen. I'd rather just let this one go and do better on the next batch.

Last edited:
My first plum wine looked just like that. It tasted good but there was a big cloudy blob at the bottom. Not visually appealing but really not a big deal. Everything sits in the carboy for at least 6 months now (also a few rackings and k-meta). Cheers.

Back