Plum haze.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneArcher

Reaction score
On Luc's blog, he mentions a haze from the wax on plum skins. Anyone else have this issue, and if so; how to deal with it?

He also mentions that washing the skins with soda will remove it, I didn't have any soda so I washed as usual. The plums are sitting on Campden, so I could pick out the skins, if necessary. But would rather not, since I think that the skins will add flavor.

Thoughts? Thanks!

This might be a silly question, but did you do anything to the plums before tossing them in the fermenter or did you just rinse them off and toss them in?

Mashed them with my hands, removing the stones. They were nicely ripe, so they mashed well.

Just added 2tsp of pectic enzyme.

Continue as is. Leave the skins in. Be sure to add pecti enzyme asap. All will be good! If any haze showes you can clear it later.

Clear it with a clearing agent? I added more than usual PE last night. I added 2 tsp, usually I would have added 1.25 or 1.5 for 5# of fruit.

Thanks for the reply.

i have had pectin haze in fig, and plump and mustang grape..
i double the pectin before fermentation now..no more hazes.

The pectic should help it clear. If for some strange reason you end up with a cloudy wine there is a two part clearing agaent that will clear it up. I almost never need to use it. Most wines clear with peptic enzyme and plenty of time. This is not anything to worry about in the first couple of months. Just continue as you are.

if you end up with a pectin haze after fermenting, none of the clearing agents will work...
you will have to do a pectin treatment. which is easy.
you can check for a pectin haze using denatured alcohol.
check jackkellers web site for pectin haze...

Back