Plugged mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melneric

Reaction score
Hello I am new to brewing and made my own single teir system with two pumps. When I transfer the hot liquid from the mash to the boil kettle the liquid quits coming out of the valve and the mash is super sealed when u put a spoon in the coolier. Is that due to the pumps sucking the mash down tight so no liquid can pass. The only way I have found to fix the problem is to dig a hole in the mash with the spoon to let the liquid through. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't run the pump so high, add rice hulls, increase your water to grain ratio closer to 1.5 - 2 qts per lb.

How fast are you draining the wort from the mash tun? It takes me 30-45 min to lauter all the wort out of my mash tun. It should be trickling into the boil kettle. Are you running a rims or Herms at full open before you are lautering?

Rims the problem is the pump starts starving and no liquid is coming out of the mash tun until I open a hole I will try rice hulls hopefully that works

Too fine of a crush can kill you too...

Ive honestly found rice hulls really aren't a game changer. If you have problems before, they wont magically fix it. They can help, but are usually used when the mash has the potential to be more "sticky" than usual. Ive had sparge issues with rice hulls when I was still getting my system dialed in.

Back