pls help with RIS recipe - too much special B?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwill07

Reaction score
so I was at the LHBS, buying my grain. I was looking at the wrong line in my shopping list and pulled too much Special B. after I realized the mistake, I compounded the issue by compensating by cutting the chocolate malt.

After thinking about it, I think I am going to have too much raisiny/fruity (which I really like) and not enough roasty/coffee/chocolatey to keep this beer stouty.

current grainbill:
Marris Otter: 14 lb
Roasted Barley: 1.25 lb
Special B: 1.25 lb
Flaked Barley: 1 lb
carapils: 0.25

this is for a 5 gallon batch, BIAB. Depending on my efficiency, this will be between 1.072 and 1.096 OG.

The grains have already been milled and mixed, so no removing anything. I just want to make sure this brew will include enough roastiness to keep it stouty.

Here is the question: would it be worth it waiting until next week to brew, and give me a chance to run back to the LHBS to add more roast/chocolate?

With that roast Barley you dont need to sweat it. I would go get some chocolate tho but I am not in a hurry!:mug:

The Roasted and Special B are in range percentage-wise, but if you are targeting the Classic Styles RIS you are light on the base malt and the missing chocolate will make a difference in my opinion. If you need to brew tomorrow then go for it, it will be a fine brew, but just maybe not "imperial" enough.

Agreed on the chocolate malt, especially Briess, it imparts a delicious flavor in larger quantities. Everything else looks good that is a lot of MO me personally I would do brewers malt and save the MO for lighter ales and let the specialty shine or add an equal part of 2-row to bump ABV. Consider adding sugars or Candi syrup too.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Looks like I will wait until next weekend to brew. No big deal, but this grainbill is too big for me to miss something basic.

Latest posts

Back