Pliny the Elder with Amarillo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how are you measuring your current water before and after additions to know if what you are adding is correct?

Can someone check my math. Assuming RO water, I'm getting the following water profile from the picture:

Ca2: 115
Mg2: 5
Na: 10
Cl: 115
SO4: 115

Here are the numbers I'm using:

1300g mash
3# CaCl
3# Gypsum

2015g kettle
3# CaCl
2# Gypsum

Any idea what the '200grams directly to kettle @80min' is referring to?

Here is what I found before the brew log was posted

http://blt.homenet.org/wordpress/?p=1288

*Calcium (CA) 76
Magnesium (MG) 13
Sodium (NA) 9
Bicarbonate (HCO3) 26
Sulfate (SO4) 133
Chloride (CL) 56

how are you measuring your current water before and after additions to know if what you are adding is correct?

I got my tap water tested by Ward Labs to know what my starting water is, and I use the Brewers Friend water calculator to know how much gypsum & calcium chloride to add to get to my target levels.

Interesting that a number of you are actually shooting for a higher Chloride ratio than sulfate. This does go against the trend of people claiming the opposite. I have been making IPA with a ratio as high as 50:350 ppm Sulfate:Chloride and they have tasted excellent but have a drying aspect on the palate that Im kinda neither here nore there on... This is why I asked about the higher levels of chloride. I have just brewed an all galaxy pale ale (that ended up being a bit higher abv of 6% or so) that uses pretty close chloride and sulfate ratios of about 100ppm or so, just to test it out and see for myself. Will be nice to see if I get more maltiness as well as great hop aroma which I have finally been successful at creating in my IPAs (this recipe had a fairly large chunk of hops 10 minutes and in and a big dry hop). Definitely worth exploring.

Are you adjusting your mash water or total water?

If you were asking me, I am doing BIAB no sparge, so mash water is my total water (which is what I adjust). Im just interested to know peoples opinions on this change in approach to water profiles of hoppy beers...

Subscribed. I brewed the original version once and loved it. I will be brewing a version of this updated recipe within the next month!

I did Vinnie's recipe last month and subbed roughly half the AA from the Columbus with Amarillo, weighted towards flameout and dryhop. It's still a bit green in the bottles, but I had one yesterday and it has a wonderful citrus/floral flavor and aroma to go compliment the piney notes from the simcoe.

I brewed this recipe as someone on another site broke it down for a 5 gallon batch. I thought mashing at 154 seemed way high for this IPA and I was right. It was wayyyy to malty for a Pliny Clone. I'm gonna try it again down the road and mash at 150 to see how much it changes it. I also used super San Diego yeast instead of 001 so that may have also contributed to the sweeter flavor a bit.

Would you please provide the link to the 5 gal recipe?

Back