Pliney question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grannyknot

Reaction score
So let me start out by saying, in regards to Pliney the elder, I've had it many times when visiting western states. Its a great beer, but it appears that much of its name is built upon the limited distribution. All well & good I suppose. But I'm also not an idiot. Its not westvleteren 12, and can be purchased fairly easily at reasonable prices in areas where available.

So an acquaintance of mine (admittedly somewhat of a D-bag beer know-it-all who appears to actually know very little) tells me that he is purchasing 2 cases of Pliney the Elder (24 bottles), and wondered if I'd like to buy 6 or so bottles. Yeah sure, why not, I replied. Never even thought to question the price he had paid or the freshness. I suppose I put a little too much faith in this so called beer-guru, who likely rates his knowledge of fermented wort on his untapped level 13 beer wizard status. I F-ing hate untapped by the way.

So his shipment comes in and he relays the message through our mutual friend that bottles are $20 each, plus whatever my share of the shipping is. $20!!!!! Now my memory isn't that great, but I'm fairly certain I paid around $5-$6 a bottle last time I bought it in a grocery store in Oregon. I relayed a message back thru my friend that I wasn't really interested in buying any if he was planning on making a massive profit for "his troubles". Our mutual friend gets back to me and says that he saw proof that the seller did indeed charge him $20 a bottle, and says the reason for the high price is that these are bombers (22oz). :confused:

So my question is, has RR ever done bombers, because all I've ever seen is the 510ml (~16oz) bottles??

A Google search (www.google.com) shows that Pliny the Elder 22oz bombers definitely exist, and retail for around $16, so it wouldn't be uncommon for a boutique bottle shop to mark it up to $20. The bomber size is a "limited release," hence the markup.

The average retail price of a Pliny 16 oz bottle seems to be $5.99.

For the price of 2 of those you could make 5 gallons of the clone version.

I second the clone idea. I make it regularly. $20 for a Pliny is ridiculous. I love Pliny, don't get me wrong, but not at that price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A Google search (www.google.com) shows that Pliny the Elder 22oz bombers definitely exist, and retail for around $16, so it wouldn't be uncommon for a boutique bottle shop to mark it up to $20. The bomber size is a "limited release," hence the markup.

Surprisingly, I did use the old google trick, but never found the information you quoted. Do you have a link for the "special release" bomber info?

Everything I found was "Hey I thought I was getting a 22oz bottle, but its just 510ml".

As far as the clone suggestion goes, I've made it twice, and while it was a great homebrew, it wasn't quite the real thing.

Surprisingly, I did use the old google trick, but never found the information you quoted. Do you have a link for the "special release" bomber info?

Everything I found was "Hey I thought I was getting a 22oz bottle, but its just 510ml".

As far as the clone suggestion goes, I've made it twice, and while it was a great homebrew, it wasn't quite the real thing.

I thought you meant $20 for the sixer, and wondered what you were bitchin' about :fro:

It's funny you mention Westy 12 in contrast. Honestly, Pliney and Westy 12 were the two beers that made me realize just how much scarcity can fuel a beer's hype train. Don't get me wrong, Westy is good. But I didn't think it was all that much better than, say, the slightly spendy Rochefort 10 I can get in any decent bottle shop. And honestly there are Ommegang and Unibroue Belgian dark strongs that I enjoy more, even if they aren't as refined... Pliney was just thoroughly underwhelming, but I'd like to chalk that up to it maybe being an older bottle as I'm on the east coast (not sure how old it actually was) and I do think fresh Heady is one of the few highly rated beers that really lives up to the hype.

Latest posts

Back