Plenty of carb, head doesn't last long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny1982

Reaction score
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY CLUES ON HOW TO GET MY HEAD TO LAST LONGER ON A VIENNA LAGER. SOMETHING I CAN DO DIFFERENT IN THE MASH OR BOIL, OR BOTTLE CONDITIONING. IT IS CARBED UP LIKE CRAZY, BUT THE HEAD DOESN'T HANG AROUND LONG.

bEN

Jeesh, yes we can hear you.;)

Post your recipe. You can add a small amount of specialty grain such as crystal or CaraFoam to improve head retention of your next brew. Check out the wiki for grain characteristics.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY CLUES ON HOW TO GET MY HEAD TO LAST LONGER ON A VIENNA LAGER. SOMETHING I CAN DO DIFFERENT IN THE MASH OR BOIL, OR BOTTLE CONDITIONING. IT IS CARBED UP LIKE CRAZY, BUT THE HEAD DOESN'T HANG AROUND LONG.

bEN

sorry. I use all caps at my job. I can't help it. It is 5 here and I am EXCITED.

BEN

Step one: Hit your caps lock. I feel like you're yelling, and there's nothing to yell about! :)

First of all, how are you washing your glasses? Not the ones that go on your face, but the ones you put your beer in? Many dishwasher detergents will leave a residue on dishes, that is thin enough for you to not notice normally, but can absolutely kill any head retention on your beer. Same goes for some dish soaps too. So, make sure your glasses are very clean by washing them under hot water (no soap or anything else), and then letting them air dry. I've also heard some people have success with putting their glasses in StarSan and letting them air dry before use.

Second, what temperature are you serving your beer at? If too cold (even normal refrigerator temps can be too cold), your beer won't produce or maintain a good head. Try leaving a refrigerated bottle out for ~15 minutes before pouring it.

Lastly, next time around, throw some flaked oats into your recipe to increase the protein content. Should help those little bubbles maintain their existence.

Let us know how it goes!

I've heard that washing your glasses with hot water and salt will help get rid of that fat layer from the detergents.

Personally I use dish washing detergent but I never hand wash my glasses. Only dishwasher. And I haven't had an issue.

One test would be to clean glasses differently and pour beer into them side by side and see what happens.

As for the recipe.. Yeah adding some more carafoam or crystal will help, also there's this stuff called Foam Control that keeps the krausen down in order for that foam to not get dropped out of suspension. You add 6-8 drops of it before primary.

Back