Please take a look at my drawing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hio3791

Reaction score
I am inching closer to going electric. This Friday, I am installing a 30A GFCI breaker and outlet in my garage. I bought the 5500W Element Kit from eBrewSupply (by the way, the owner is a great guy to work with!). And now I am deciding on my control panel. My needs are simple, I have 1 brew kettle and mash in a 60 qt Igloo cube. I need something similar to a BIAB setup. My pump has its own control and it's connected to a GFCI outlet so I really just want to control the boil kettle.

I am still debating between an SSVR or a PID. If I lean the SSVR way, I would do the following:

240V 5500W element controller based on Auber SSVR

But I am still entertaining a PID instead of SSVR for the only reason that I could set a temp for my mash water, go do something else, come back and know my water is at my desired temp.

I took some of PJ's diagrams and tried to hack/simplify it a bit for my needs.

Drawing2.jpg

Sorry for the ugly drawing but I think it shows what I am thinking of doing. PJ has a similar drawing using switches and a contactor but since I am still debating, I wanted to also consider using SPST and DPST switches instead (if for no other reason than it saves me a few bucks).

I know some people are against DPST and prefer contactors but I welcome all input. Thanks!

Diagram is OK

I am still debating between an SSVR or a PID

Why not to have both? You can combine PID with relay output and a SSVR.
Instead of Auber PID you can use much cheaper REX C-100 (around $15 on eBay)
REX is nice device but has two main disadwantages:

- Doesn't support Fahrenheit
- Doesn't have manual mode

Since you have an SSVR you do't need PID manual mode. So if you can cope with Celsius use a Rex.

PID-SSVR.jpg

Looks A-Ok to me.
Thank you PJ for taking the time to look at this diagram.

While I could go off one of your diagrams, making my own helps me understand what each component does and how they integrate with each other.

Why not to have both?

Thanks for your feedback Brumateur. However, I fail to understand why have an SSVR integrated with a PID since a PID in manual mode effectively does the same thing as the SSVR. Many people have this configuration and High Gravity sells them. I guess I just don't understand what problem it solves.

Diagram is OK

Why not to have both? You can combine PID with relay output and a SSVR.
Instead of Auber PID you can use much cheaper REX C-100 (around $15 on eBay)
REX is nice device but has two main disadwantages:

- Doesn't support Fahrenheit
- Doesn't have manual mode

Since you have an SSVR you do't need PID manual mode. So if you can cope with Celsius use a Rex.
better to spend $26 for the mypin TD4 which does both manual mode and Fahrenheit..I just bought a second to replace the r4ex I use only for temp readout... I'm tired of converting from Celsius.
and you can save a few bucks and buy the ta4 which lacks manual mode for use with the hlt....
honestly I havent even used the manual mode on my last two brews.. the auto maintained a pretty steady boil.

Latest posts

Back