Please rate my Black IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolink

Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying to make a recipe for a Black IPA. Would you please rate this recipe and change it if you will...

Batch Size: 25L (6.6Gal)
Total Water: 40L (10.5Gal)

Mash - 70min at 66ºC (150.8F)
- 5.300g (11.68Lb) Pale Ale Malt
- 500g (1.10Lb) Pilsen Malt
- 500g (1.10Lb) Cara Ruby Malt
- 500g (1.10Lb) Chocolate Malt
- 200g (0.44Lb) Roasted Malt

Boil - 70min
40g (1.41oz) Galena 60min
10g (0.35oz) Cascade 60min
20g (0.71oz) Golding 15min
15g (0.53oz) Cascade 15min
20g (0.71oz) Golding Dry-Hop (7 Days)

2 pkt Fermentis S-05

ABV: 6,3%
SRM: 27
OG: 1,061
FG: 1,012
IBU: 62

Personally I'd use Carafa III and cut the roasted malt completely (or at least reduce that and the chocolate malt). I thought a black IPA should have the colour but not much of the roasted flavours.

Personally I'd use Carafa III and cut the roasted malt completely (or at least reduce that and the chocolate malt). I thought a black IPA should have the colour but not much of the roasted flavours.

Agreed. Almost 1/2 lb of roasted malt will give you a very roasty flavor (which would be atypical for the style). Cut that roasted grain in half, and add a little carafa II or III, and you should be right on target.

I agree on the reducing the roasted and the chocolate and adding the carafaIII.
Id drop a pound of the pale malt and sub in 1.5lbs of rye malt but that's just me.
The last one I did used a lot more hops. Cascade and Amarillo work nicely but I would use about an ounce each at 10 minutes and double the dryhop. The EKGolding dryhop at about 57g would not be a waste of hops and might be quite good.
My last Black IPA got dryhopped with an ounce of Simcoe and another of Galaxy and it was amazing.

Back