PLEASE let the Northern Brewer buy-out be a hoax!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Domain Name: NORTHERNBREWER.COM
Registry Domain ID: 7270838_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Registrar URL: http://networksolutions.com
Updated Date: 2016-09-07T17:28:38Z
Creation Date: 1999-06-16T04:00:00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2022-06-16T04:00:00Z
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
Registrar IANA ID: 2
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8003337680
Reseller:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: Northern Brewer, LLC
Registrant Organization: Northern Brewer, LLC
Registrant Street: 2221 Highway 36 W
Registrant City: Roseville
Registrant State/Province: MN
Registrant Postal Code: 55113-3856
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: 800-681-2739
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected]
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: Farley, Christopher
Admin Organization: Northern Brewer, LLC
Admin Street: 2221 Highway 36 W
Admin City: Roseville
Admin State/Province: MN
Admin Postal Code: 55113-3856
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.8006812739
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax:
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: [email protected]
Registry Tech ID:
Tech Name: Farley, Christopher
Tech Organization: Northern Brewer, LLC
Tech Street: 2221 Highway 36 W
Tech City: Roseville
Tech State/Province: MN
Tech Postal Code: 55113-3856
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1.8006812739
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax:
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: [email protected]
Name Server: NS-1194.AWSDNS-21.ORG
Name Server: NS-1648.AWSDNS-14.CO.UK
Name Server: NS-464.AWSDNS-58.COM
Name Server: NS-798.AWSDNS-35.NET
DNSSEC: Unsigned

Domain information remains the same. Chris still owns the domain at least.

Network Solutions? Beer is a solution. In Bev makes the most beer! In Bev owns network solutions which now owns Northern Brewer!

We're through the looking glass here, people!!1!11!1!

Registrar IANA ID: 2
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8003337680
Reseller:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: Northern Brewer, LLC
Registrant Organization: Northern Brewer, LLC
Registrant Street: 2221 Highway 36 W
Registrant City: Roseville
Registrant State/Province: MN
Registrant Postal Code: 55113-3856
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: 800-681-2739
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected]
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: Farley, Christopher
Admin Organization: Northern Brewer, LLC
Admin Street: 2221 Highway 36 W
Admin City: Roseville
Admin State/Province: MN
Admin Postal Code: 55113-3856
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.8006812739
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax:
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: [email protected]
Registry Tech ID:
Tech Name: Farley, Christopher
Tech Organization: Northern Brewer, LLC
Tech Street: 2221 Highway 36 W
Tech City: Roseville
Tech State/Province: MN
Tech Postal Code: 55113-3856
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1.8006812739
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax:
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: [email protected]
Name Server: NS-1194.AWSDNS-21.ORG
Name Server: NS-1648.AWSDNS-14.CO.UK
Name Server: NS-464.AWSDNS-58.COM
Name Server: NS-798.AWSDNS-35.NET
DNSSEC: Unsigned

Domain information remains the same. Chris still owns the domain at least.

The company can still operate as it was, just owned by another entity. But I'm not saying it's true.

Let's not act like - at this point in time - our hobby isn't an industry above all else. Unless we all start growing our own hops and malts, we pretty much have to play the game to keep brewing the beer we love at home. We all know it wouldn't be the first time NB (or other online homebrew powerhouses) have had under-the-radar business dealings in the form of buy-out/merger. It's not their requirement to make anything public and, in the end, they don't really owe anyone an explanation. IF it is true... I'm not sure why it would come to a surprise to anyone that InBev would turn to homebrewing eventually as part of its push into buying and owning craft breweries.

Same here but I almost can never fill my grain bill at one LHBS. Now that I am moving from a 10 gallon system to a 1 bbl one I am fearing this will get even worse. While I am lucky to have 3 shops to choose from they are not conveniently near each other with 2 being an hour in the opposite direction.

I agree on this. I have several good shops nearby, and I try to give them business, even if it costs a little more. I go online for some gear because they either can't compete or don't carry the things I want. But for ingredients, I almost always go to the store.

Hops distributors usually have fresher and different hops. Otherwise it's all Hop Union, which is fine.

I do my best to support the little guys, though!

I don't believe the buyout happened but if it did I hope it is because InBev has applied a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" strategy.

Same here but I almost can never fill my grain bill at one LHBS. Now that I am moving from a 10 gallon system to a 1 bbl one I am fearing this will get even worse. While I am lucky to have 3 shops to choose from they are not conveniently near each other with 2 being an hour in the opposite direction.

Just call ahead and have them order the grains you need.

Not that I give a SH!$, but I used NB's chat feature to ask where the heck my order was that I placed last Tuesday and asked them, response I received was...

"I can't comment about any potential business partnerships. I can tell you that we're always exploring ways to grow NB and the homebrewing supply market"

So you never find yourself wanting a specialty grain or a (non-bulk) hop that your LHBS doesn't carry?

Really?

There has never been a time since i discovered bulk hops that I would buy a non bulk hop from an online vendor. Online vendors like NB charge out of control price per oz. The cheapest hop per oz they have is $1.99 (for Magnum for example which you can get $9/lb). My lhbs sells that for about $1.00 / oz.Buy 3oz of miscellaneous hops that $6 + $8 shipping you are now at $14 for 3oz of hops there are many places online that will buy you a lb of magnum shipped.

As for specialty grains there certainly are some grains my labs doesn't carry but all I have to do is ask and they will order for me. They do have a hard time getting a few things like certain english crystal malts. And at that point I will buy from the most competitive online vendor and I will buy enough to store and last me for multiple brews.

I get it if your local store isn't good or is run by jerks. But I know way to many people in my neck of the woods that fuss about the big bad boogeyman InBev but don't spend their money at either of the two lhbs.

well please enlighten us, so we can save some money. I've looked at NB at least 5 times vs more beer on orders greater then $59, always 20% plus higher. Just compare 50 lbs of Briess 2 row: NB=$74.50 plus 7.99 shipping vs MB = $53 plus free shipping. Is there a secret handshake to get better prices?

uhhh buy it in bulk not buy th epound. Search their grains for bulk sacks

well please enlighten us, so we can save some money. I've looked at NB at least 5 times vs more beer on orders greater then $59, always 20% plus higher. Just compare 50 lbs of Briess 2 row: NB=$74.50 plus 7.99 shipping vs MB = $53 plus free shipping. Is there a secret handshake to get better prices?

22.41 shipping to my house makes a sack about 57 bucks. I hope you are enllightend

sack.jpg

My local home brew store is within walking distance of my house so I will continue to support the local guy. He cares about his customers and goes the extra mile to see that we are happy, so I will try to keep him happy as well. It's good for both of us as well as the other local brewers that I have met because of his store.

My local home brew store is within walking distance of my house so I will continue to support the local guy. He cares about his customers and goes the extra mile to see that we are happy, so I will try to keep him happy as well. It's good for both of us as well as the other local brewers that I have met because of his store.

Yeah, but how you gonna walk home with a 50 pound sack of grain? That's crazy talk.

Not too sure why they would want a homebrew supply provider.

It's money. An info graphic put out by the AHA estimates that home brew accounts for 1% of the beer brewed domestically in the US. That's a small percentage, but with the merger of AB InBev and Miller/Coors it translates to millions in lost revenue. Home brewing is legal in all states so they can't fight it without buying the grains and hops, or they can get in on selling supplies. If they do buyout NB, they will start the game with a good chunk of the market.

22.41 shipping to my house makes a sack about 57 bucks. I hope you are enllightend

LOL .... that's great but not everyone lives at your house. I certainly don't. 50 pounds delivered to my house from MR is 10 percent cheaper ..... and it's delivered in two days every time I order ... still hoping to by enlightened but you've yet to turn the lights on

Yeah, but how you gonna walk home with a 50 pound sack of grain? That's crazy talk.

Don't be a sissy? :D

LOL .... that's great but not everyone lives at your house. I certainly don't. 50 pounds delivered to my house from MR is 10 percent cheaper ..... and it's delivered in two days every time I order ... still hoping to by enlightened but you've yet to turn the lights on

You're the one that said a sack of Briess is $75 + shipping at NB. He was pointing out he doesn't see that price.....

That must be nice. My LHBS - the one I don't avoid for other reasons - now has four locations, that helpfully form a slightly lopsided circle, 2/3 the diameter of the entire metropolitan area, with the midpoint between my apartment and my current employer more or less at the center.

There has never been a time since i discovered bulk hops that I would buy a non bulk hop from an online vendor. Online vendors like NB charge out of control price per oz. The cheapest hop per oz they have is $1.99 (for Magnum for example which you can get $9/lb). My lhbs sells that for about $1.00 / oz.Buy 3oz of miscellaneous hops that $6 + $8 shipping you are now at $14 for 3oz of hops there are many places online that will buy you a lb of magnum shipped.

As for specialty grains there certainly are some grains my labs doesn't carry but all I have to do is ask and they will order for me. They do have a hard time getting a few things like certain english crystal malts. And at that point I will buy from the most competitive online vendor and I will buy enough to store and last me for multiple brews.

*shrug* Northern Brewer has a lot of hops my LHBS doesn't carry; some grains, too (so far: carawheat, midnight wheat, golden naked oats, golden promise, and I'ma need some chocolate wheat soon). I'd certainly never order just one set of hops by itself, but I certainly see the appeal of putting in 3-odd orders per year with a bunch of specialty grains and hops concentrated together with the flat-rate shipping...

My LHBS would probably order grains for me too. In full bags. Not real useful for things I'd use a pound or less of per recipe...

I'm going to ask a stupid question. When you guys are talking about "bulk hops" at your store, do you mean they have a bin where you scoop and weigh? Or do you mean buying a pre-packaged pound of hops in a bag?

NB delivered 50 lbs of Rahr 2-row to my door last week for $38 ($7.99 shipping). I am 1,200 miles away.

2-row from LHBS... $55 for Briess.

It starts with whittling the grain selection down to 6row, flaked rice, and flaked corn. Next thing you know, they strong arm the distributors to do the same.

Then they start pushing the beechwood. Everything has to have beechwood.

NB delivered 50 lbs of Rahr 2-row to my door last week for $38 ($7.99 shipping). I am 1,200 miles away.

Wow, I wish I could get a sack of 2-row shipped for $7.99. I just checked to see what the shipping would be.

I'll stick with my LHBS for my bulk grains, about $55 for 2-row sack.

Also, I still haven't seen anything online about the buyout. If it ends up being true, hopefully it doesn't make a negative impact on them and their customers.

NB_2row_Sack.png

Neighbors might look at you funny if they see you walking around with a vacuum-sealed bag of whole leaf hops. [emoji12]

I found hops growing on a walking trail I used to go to a lot. The first year I harvested them I put then in a clear shopping bag and drove home with them on the passenger seat. As I was driving along I looked down and realized I might run into some complications if I got hauled over for anything.

No running yellows or rolling stops for the rest of that drive.

Now I make sure to keep them out of sight for the drive home.

I guess I will have to look at online again. The last time I looked, no supplier would ship for flat rate. The bags of grain were not included and when I put them in the cart and added shipping it was always $20 or more...... So a $35 price for 2-row suddenly was $55. My LHBS sells for about $40.

More Beer is $36 for base malt sack and to Florida $18. Total about $54.
LHBS 64 miles round trip.
Send me the sack to my front door, please. ;)

Back