Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bud2.jpg

The rumors started days ago have ended in the last 48 hours with confirmation direct from Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies today that indeed, they were acquired by Anheuser-Busch InBev, the multi-national super conglomerate that owns Budweiser and Miller. More precise the deal was announced as being completed by 'ZX Ventures', the disruptive growth unit of AB InBev. Anheuser-Busch InBev now has market share of 70% of beer sales in the United States after getting Justice Department approval of a merger.
Northern Brewer opted for Chris Farley, the listed 'Founder' and not the Northern Brewer President to confirm the announcement today.
Many of you have seen the news that we’ve closed a deal to be acquired by ZX Ventures, the global Disruptive Growth Unit of Anheuser-Busch InBev.

Why would AB InBev Bother with a Homebrew Supply Shop Like Northern Brewer?

Northern Brewer & Midwest Supplies were likely a sought after purchase due to a reported annual revenue of at least $50,000,000. Some worry this acquisition along with their deep capital could allow them to pivot into the wholesale market in an attempt to gain massive control of the homebrew industry in a vertical growth move.
Many on Homebrew Talk and reddit have speculated on exactly what disruptive growth means to the small and tight-knit homebrew community. Only time will tell what impact they will have on the hobby and smaller retailers that help grow and teach the industry.
bud2.jpg

They also brew Bass Ale at Baldwinsville. Or at least they did at first. What a shock to taste that a couple of years ago when I had no idea that I wasn't buying the Burton-on-Trent original. Smelled like rotting vegetables! Gotta say, though, that it's much better when they brew it in Merrimack, New Hampshire. Just not the same...

No, it will change ! We will begin to see a deterioration of services, website and feeling while price creep will increase.... always happens when competitors take market share... Anheuser isn't interested in Homebrewing other than seeing it go away !

Crushing the Competition is always the name of the game - looking forward 5 years (?) the only recipes/kits will be Budweiser and the emphasis will be on Wine !
Being sarcastic of course - but it is the beginning of the end - really, how long do you think the Northern and Midwest holdovers will have any control or input in the business - they'll be reduced to meaningless paper shuffling and menial labor while Big Daddy strips er down.

"If you can’t shame them join them I suppose."
If you can’t shame them 'crush' them I suppose.
I think that's what you meant to say, so i said it for ya - yer welcome !

Just watched Stuart Varney (Fox Business News) 10:15 am 10- 26-17,
Anhueser Inbev announced major cost cutting do to failing market share and debt !
Anhueser not even American Company anymore - it's a huge multi national kabal - Brazil, Netherlands, Belgium + ....hence the massive debt and aggressive behavior..

Yeah, depending on how old you are you would have seen this play out hundreds of times (mergers/acquisitions)..... I don't really care because I can make anything, with anything, using buckets to barrels - it's in the blood bro !
Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care (sing along boys) Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care ....... ;)

While it's truly disturbing that NB and Midwest are now part of "Big Beer", I will continue to shop at NB due to the fact that I'm not a big fan of buying EVERYTHING online. NB is the only brick and mortar store in my town, and I'm one of those people that prefers to actually look at and touch a product before buying. They also have a large selection of 1 gal kits not available from other HB sites. I also like that I can actually talk to someone that knows brewing, and can give on the spot advice.

Back