PLEASE let the Northern Brewer buy-out be a hoax!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an industry insider. Think it is going to be hard for NB to mop the floor up in Canada.

1) Pricing is very high compared to Canada. Take into account the exchange rate and it is a huge premium.

2) NB uses way too many low end house brands compared to Canada. The housebrand regulator used in kits C20PO is 80USD. Compared to the Taprite model sold predominately in Canada for 57USD.

3) Canada gets hit hard with brokerage and duties. It gets even worse at the 200 CAD point. (152USD).

4) They only stand to gain an additional 9% in market share. Canadians can gain 835% by shipping into the USA.

5) The NB brand is currently in public relations distress.

That is just off the top of my head. Long story short NB should be more worried about Canada then Canada about AB.

Cheers
Patrick

Patrick, do you not see them setting up warehouses in Canada and distributing from there instead?

Patrick, do you not see them setting up warehouses in Canada and distributing from there instead?

Just my perspective and I have been wrong a few times already today.
With the current market share it is not feasible to do so at this time.

If go by the assumption that both current USA fill centers share the workload 50/50. And assuming they can scale up to the same market share. A Canadian fill center would operate at 18% max potential of the USA capacity. ZX Ventures is data driven not sure they would sign off on those numbers.

A retail store in Toronto with pick to order capabilities would be smarter money.

Just beginning to notice that many of the Wyeast and White Labs yeasts are sold out at NB. Omega seems well stocked. Omega is a good product, but are we seeing a major brand shift after the buyout?

Just beginning to notice that many of the Wyeast and White Labs yeasts are sold out at NB. Omega seems well stocked. Omega is a good product, but are we seeing a major brand shift after the buyout?
More likely just shipping issues
Maybe not restocking until after all the holidays are over to avoid them sitting on a truck

this story is 100% true. the homebrewers association did a survey and over 68% who responded said they will no longer buy from them.
as i said in a previous post: money talks and people walk.

this story is 100% true. the homebrewers association did a survey and over 68% who responded said they will no longer buy from them.
as i said in a previous post: money talks and people walk.

Not all of us walk. I just took advantage of their New Years 10% site wide sale with FREE shipping if you spend $59 or more. As far as I'm concerned NB employs Americans and their products and service are great. If their quality changes, then I'll shop somewhere else. JMO

I'll continue to purchase from them from time to time as well. I brew all grain, and their kits are all posted online, but when they do their 3 kit sells, it's a tough one to pass up. Some of the kits they offer on those deals, I can't even buy the hops for that price locally. And all the ones I've purchased have been excellent. 3 all grain kits shipped to my door for $68? I'll take that deal any day!

I could care less who owns them.

I don't know about the mailorder side, but in the retail store they've dropped most of the White Labs, except for a few of the best sellers and gone big on Omega. They are still carrying most of the Wyeast stuff as well.

I looked into a few alternatives that might have cheaper shipping or better selection and didn't fine much. I put the same 10 items in my cart in about 5 different sites and NB's $7.99 shipping was the best deal and a few of the items were a dollar or so cheaper. Yes my heart tugs me to try and purchase from local or small businesses, but my wallet wins every time.

As for steering customers to one brand or another, that is more of a problem. Like any other hobby, homebrewers tend to be very brand-loyal and dropping a brand like Wyeast (or any others) could be a problem for them. Imagine if they stopped carrying Munton's DME or something like that.

Sadly they seem to be the only place locally to get White Labs yeast. I am on the side of boycotting them, so I'm getting comfortable with Wyeast. I think this is a good indication of how they are going to 'disrupt' things. They will figure out how to delivery the cheapest product and in the process limit our access to choice. Because they were such a big part of our market in Minneapolis/St. Paul, the ability to affect consumers is immediate. I would suggest that if we continue to let them dominate the market nationally it will affect everybody.

I've shifted all of my local buying over to Brew and Grow in Spring Lake Park, MN.

Lol, that AHA survey is so damn biased it's not even funny...

I'd venture a guess that the vast majority who read the article did so because they hate AB-InBev, so of couse they're gonna "vote" to not buy from InBev. I'm surprised it wasn't higher than 86%

God forbid a few guys get together, put it all on the line to start a business, work there ass off and actually succeed. I say good for them.

I couldn't agree more. NB was the largest because they were also the best, IMHO. And if I were in their shoes and got a buyout, I would be hard pressed not to take it. (We are assuming they got a big payout. None of the financials have been reported. Supposedly it was just an investment in the company, not a buyout.)

The trick to being in a business like this is that it comes down to customer loyalty. The gamble they took is whether getting access to capital and supplies would outweigh the negative press from joining forces with AbInbev. Sadly, since we Americans always fall prey to low prices, their gamble will likely pay off. And "Wallmart" will push out the small local shops. It's the new American story.

I'm not a very politically active person. But my love of homebrewing and the ethos of DIY makes me want to take a stand here. Why do the "big guys" need to be a part of our hobby?

Man it is hard to not be following the boycott theme. I live by a bud brewery, we used to go there have samples, bring visitors from out of state and have such a good time. Now they charge $4 plus (i had goose island ipa) they obviously gobbled them up treated like we vacuuming in front of tv when the game is on.....ex wife behavior..... 4 bucks plus and they make it for 30 cents or less .Went there to see the Christmas lights and don't want to give the another dime regardless...they have changed.
I spent more than a couple Harleys worth on bud products, by not anymore if I can help it and afford it

Man it is hard to not be following the boycott theme. I live by a bud brewery, we used to go there have samples, bring visitors from out of state and have such a good time. Now they charge $4 plus (i had goose island ipa) they obviously gobbled them up treated like we vacuuming in front of tv when the game is on.....ex wife behavior..... 4 bucks plus and they make it for 30 cents or less .Went there to see the Christmas lights and don't want to give the another dime regardless...they have changed.
I spent more than a couple Harleys worth on bud products, by not anymore if I can help it and afford it
So you used to go there get what sounds like FREE samples AND Goose Island which is an awesome beer,check out there place and what I could picture as really cool Christmas lights AND have a great time. Now they charge a whopping $4 for all that and your and going to boycott them..If I could that for $4 I would on a regular basis AND leave a fat tip.

Lol, there are plenty of craft breweries around that charge for tours also. Prost being one of them...and they charge double what AB does. The Bud plant has employed lots of locals through the years, and I can't think of any of our fine local crafters who've gone belly up because of Bud being here.

I bought everything I could/can from my local before and will continue to do so. I like to support local business and I like being greeted by name when I walk into the store.

That is worth a few extra bucks to me.

That said, if NB had something I wanted I wouldn't hesitate buying from them.

They're still taking a beating on FB.

So be it....why begrudge somebody for building a business and THEN getting a great buy-out offer? Isn't that everybody's dream? I could understand it if NB jobs went over seas, but it's not happening! I stand by my decision to keep buying from NB until their quality goes down hill.....which I don't expect to happen. JMO

Not to mention shouldn't somebody be knocking on the door of the guys that started a business from scratch supplying homebrew goods to all of us living on Smith St with 3 kids a working wife and mortgage and yell at them for making it in life....The nerve of them

Not to mention shouldn't somebody be knocking on the door of the guys that started a business from scratch supplying homebrew goods to all of us living on Smith St with 3 kids a working wife and mortgage and yell at them for making it in life....The nerve of them

If somebody is angry about a business succeeding, it's not me.

The internet says ab inbev is 45% American owned. Assuming (and I am) that NB was previously 100% American owned. That means that now 55% of the profits leave that used to stay.

Why?

How do you know they aren't reinvesting the profits right here in Americ? Maybe they are saving up to buy your favorite local brewery. :mug:

Over 4 bucks for bud light. The goose island was delicious. It is the whole attitude of the place changed. They used to give, thats right for free, 2 samples not full beers.It was not like it was hurting with the money we have spent in the gift shop. There are people that would take advantage like in the wine industry. Some wineries changed to no free samples while others offer a price for more reserve wines And still offer samples. So hopefully it would get you to purchase a few bottles. 4 bucks for a bud light when you can buy one at the bar cheaper right down the street. Feel free to continue patronizing, I will hold back. More power to you
I figured it would draw a similar response

Lol. Continue patronizing as in to continue support for AB? Or do you feel patronized by me stating the fact that many breweries also charge for tours/samples, and some at a higher price, and that you feel ENTITLED to free product just because AB/Inbev is a huge corporation?

Over 4 bucks for bud light. The goose island was delicious. It is the whole attitude of the place changed. They used to give, thats right for free, 2 samples not full beers.It was not like it was hurting with the money we have spent in the gift shop. There are people that would take advantage like in the wine industry. Some wineries changed to no free samples while others offer a price for more reserve wines And still offer samples. So hopefully it would get you to purchase a few bottles. 4 bucks for a bud light when you can buy one at the bar cheaper right down the street. Feel free to continue patronizing, I will hold back. More power to you
I figured it would draw a similar response

I'm curious, do you pay $4 for a tour and then only get one Bud Light? No other options and no chance for seconds?

Lol. Continue patronizing as in to continue support for AB? Or do you feel patronized by me stating the fact that many breweries also charge for tours/samples, and some at a higher price, and that you feel ENTITLED to free product just because AB/Inbev is a huge corporation?

No hurt feelings here, carry on. I never said I was entitled to free product. I just mentioned that was the way it was before. Right, wrong, you can decide. I am saying the whole vibe has changed. Have you been there since the changes? Over 4 bucks bud light without shipping and cheaper down the street is 1 example. Other tour cost also, wasn't denying it. They also may offer a tasters tray at a price that isn't creeping on Sturgis prices. Lol
Do you own stock or work there? Didn't mean to stir you so. :mug:

No hurt feelings here, carry on. I never said I was entitled to free product. I just mentioned that was the way it was before. Right, wrong, you can decide. I am saying the whole vibe has changed. Have you been there since the changes? Over 4 bucks bud light without shipping and cheaper down the street is 1 example. Other tour cost also, wasn't denying it. They also may offer a tasters tray at a price that isn't creeping on Sturgis prices. Lol
Do you own stock or work there? Didn't mean to stir you so. :mug:

I cannot believe that on a homebrew forum, amongst homebrewers, this is such a touchy subject.

How is this thread still alive? Let's talk about homebrewing Swedish Svagdricka instead!

It's alive because people have taken a stand on one side or the other. They can come here to argue their points when convenient. The issue is unresolved.

I agree. Let's brew that. As long as the ingredients aren't supplied by ab inbev.

Back