Please I need a question answered quickley!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciderguy

Reaction score
So i just went to a local recycling place. They had a 32 pound liquid nitrogen container that looked like it might make a great brew kettle. Is this a chemical i don't want to mess with or would it be fine if the inside is smooth and i cut the top off and clean it? I took pictures with my phone but now i can't get them off the phone. I'm trying to have my all grain ready by this weekend. I'm searching for a last keg. I have 1 6.5 gallon keg that might work as a mash tun, but I would rather have something bigger. I guess if its all I have I will use it. Anyone know what size batches I could do with a 6.5 gallon keg as a mush tun?

N2 is 80% of what you breathe all day long. Safe.

You can do almost any 5 gallon beer in a 6.5 mash tun. You could do low grav. 10 gallon batches.

It's nitrogen. You'd be fine cutting it open and using it. Any idea of what it is made of?

awsome. its a stainless container. I will go grab it and take a picture for ya. it was only 32 bucks. I figured I was better off to check, but I figured Nitrogen Oxide wouldn't be harmfull.

6.5 gallon mashtun sounds just about perfect for any 5 gallon batches within the 'normal' realms of brewing, even for the big beers

Likely not a good idea, here's why:

Nitrogen Oxide is also known as NOx and is not the same as liquid nitrogen, which offgases as N2. NOx is a gas that is most commonly a byproduct of combustion. In significant concentrations, it is dangerous. That said, it is a gas and there should be no residue on a stainless container. However, the gas is stored at pressure which means it will be a very thick-walled container and will take longer to heat your wort.

But I am guessing that you misspoke on the most recent post and it is actually a liquid nitrogen container, which would likely be a dewar. This container is designed to be an excellent insulator, which would make it the exact opposite of a brew kettle.

Likely not a good idea, here's why:

Nitrogen Oxide is also known as NOx and is not the same as liquid nitrogen, which offgases as N2. NOx is a gas that is most commonly a byproduct of combustion. In significant concentrations, it is dangerous. That said, it is a gas and there should be no residue on a stainless container. However, the gas is stored at pressure which means it will be a very thick-walled container and will take longer to heat your wort.

But I am guessing that you misspoke on the most recent post and it is actually a liquid nitrogen container, which would likely be a dewar. This container is designed to be an excellent insulator, which would make it the exact opposite of a brew kettle.

That's very true...which means it would be a perfect MLT!!! :ban:

Aha! True, but it sounds like it has a narrow neck so that would be a PITA to use it. And if you cut the top off, it will likely split into two pieces.

I dunno, kinda hard to figure what it actually is, but I'm just trying to say it might not simply be a stainless steel container that is comparable to a BK.

On another note, N2 dewars are usually hundreds of dollars, maybe just buy it and resell it. Then make yourself a HERMS!:rockin:

I got the thing half way home and realized it was aluminum... Ill return it if I can. whats the deal with aluminum, you can't apply heat to it? I might just assemble my system with the 6.5 gallon keg or find a 15 gal one elsewhere... they have a keg here with a welded fitting. but I have ordered weldless fittings already...maybe I will just buy it

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

here it is, seems to be the same size as a keg

Would it work as a decent carboy? If i can use the thing as a carboy, or a conical fermenter, I'm happy...

ok... thats a no on fermenter. maybe on mash tun... but I don't like the shape of the bottume for that... I will put it on craigs list and see if I get any quick hits or return it tomorrow.

Yep, that's a dewar, a vacuum-insulated container. And that thread about aluminum with fermented beer probably goes for a mash tun, albeit to a lesser extent. Mash pH of 5ish versus beer of 3.5ish, still probably not good.

If you cut the top off it would probably separate into two pieces but would leave the outer portion that could possibly be used as a boil kettle. But the handles would be gone...

Sorry, looks too good to be true.

Still, I think that it is worth more than $32 if the vacuum seal is intact. List it as a dewar/liquid nitrogen container and see what you get on clist.

Back