Please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stirlingtrent

Reaction score
Hi all, just did my second batch yesterday, which is nicely bubbling away now.
I will be going out of town about 4 days after primary fermentation begins, and will be gone for 2 weeks. I know it's not wise to leave town just after a batch, but it was a tight window, and I thought I'd give it a go, hoping primary fermentation will be settling down when I leave.

Here's my question: I will top off the airlock with liquid before I leave, but I'm worried it'll run dry while I'm gone (live in dry climate). What can I do? Or do I need to worry about a dry airlock?

Thanks!

I don't think it should be a problem. The only worry I would have is that the airlock might get clogged during primary fermentation. But after four days it should be settling down.

Did you have a problem with the first airlock running dry? You could rig up a blow off tube set up with a three piece airlock and some 3/16 (i think) tubing into a larger bucket of sanitizer if you were truly worried.

No problem. I put my FV in a large plastic bucket. the kind with the rope handle you can find at WalMart. Put FV in it and fill with water to just below beer level. It really helps with temp changes during the day. Should be great for worries while you are gone.

I regularly use this in both winter and the summer to either heat or cool the water with bottles of frozen water or an aquarium heater.

Relax, you'll be fine. 4 days into fermentation means that most (all?) active fermentation will likely be done. The beer will be conditioning more than anything else.

Also, fill up the airlock and forget it. Even in a dry climate, I doubt you lose all the moisture from a closed airlock unless you have it in the sun or somesuch.

I live in N W Arizona Hot and very Dry, I fill my airlocks 1/2 way with vodka and they are good for at least 2 weeks before I need to add more, if you are worried maybe fill it 3/4 of the way, or the blow off tube into a gal jug to be safe, also the swamp cooler tub is a great idea to help keep temps constant.

All my batches are in primary for a min of 2 weeks, some longer.

Have a good trip!
WiliECoyote

Back