please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanky1706

Reaction score
ok so im trying to make Korean sweet rice wine and no I don't mean Sake so don't say koji mold, I tried it it doesn't work for Korean sweet rice wine. this calls for Nuruk or a solid ball of yeast that resembles a jawbreaker candy also know as jio-bing i think that's how it is spelled, milled yeast, Chinese ball yeast.

now my question is where the hell do i get this I've looked every where for it
i live is southern California, or if u know what i am talking about and used something different please let me know

:ban:

I don't think wine-making/brew shops carry it. Never seen it advertised anyway. You might try a Korean grocery. They carry an amazing variety of things. Also the owner/manager might know about this kind of yeast. Good luck.

Can you find a bottle of unfiltered sweet rice wine and culture the yeast from the bottle?

thinking out loud here. White labs makes a sake yeast. I know thats not what you are after, however they might have information on what you are looking for.

ok so i did a little more digging meaning i use random words with Makgeolli in the Google search bar lol, and it looks like it is malted wheat, or millet still don't understand it, mainly coz i dont think it will break down the rice grain. any thoughts

Hmmmm rice and millet sounds like you need to ask a few ?'s in the gluten free section they do alot with rice, rice syrup, millet , and wheat all together. might get more info there.

just thinking out loud, can wheat germ or wheat flour be used as a additive or a substitute to improve or make a wheat bear

not sure on the wheat germ. however I wanna say no on the wheat flour. I dont believe flour has been malted therefore there would be no sugars for the yeast to dine on. most hbs's should have malted wheat(grain ready to be mashed) wheat lme and wheat dme. these would be better choices.

Back