Please Help With Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mx750ktm

Reaction score
I have attached a picture of the most recent Las Vegas water report. I am wanting to brew the Zombie Dust Clone in the Recipes section. I Have brewed two IPA's Since moving to Vegas and I would say they are Mediocre at best. My other beers I have done have been great ( Stouts, Porters, Brown ales) its my hoppy beers that just come out bland, the hops just don't POP with aroma or flavor they are just kind of muddled together. I'm thinking Its a water issue as I usually just use my tap water here and back home in Ohio I've done the same IPA recipes and they come out great. So the only thing in my practice that has changed is my new water here.

Now please note I understand I should get an actual water report, But I figured this is a step in the correct direction and someone could give me some suggestions on what might need to be added to brew and good IPA this upcoming weekend.

Thanks Jake:mug:

30mbvbs.png

Sodium, chloride, and sulfate are fairly high. However, they aren't necessarily completely out of line for brewing hoppy beers. What is likely killing your hoppy beers is the high alkalinity. If you weren't acidifying your mashing and sparging water, you do need to learn that skill. It will make a substantial difference in the resulting hoppy beers.

Do be aware that this water is not well suited for many other beer styles. It is highly mineralized. Avoid adding any minerals to this water without careful consideration.

Hey first of I wanted to thank you for the reply. I've been doing some reading but there's so much to learn about water adjustments and profiles. The recipe I'm planning to brew this Friday is the zombie dust clone here on the forums in the recipie section.

After my reading I'm wanting to try this brewday with RO water from the local grocery and attempt to build a decent profile for a light colored hoppy beer.

Please review what I've come up with as its my first time using any charts to try to create a certain profile.

I will be doing this biab, and will mash with full volume of 7 gallons. From the calculations I have added the following.
The one thing I'm totally uncertain about is if my values for my source water would be correct with RO water.

Source water: (how I have it input in the calculator )
Calcium =0
Magnesium =0
sodium =0
Chloride =0
Sulfate=0
Alkalinity As: bicarbonate
Bicarbonate =0
Ph=8

Water Additions:

gypsum= 5 grams
Epsom Salt= 8 grams
Calcium cholride= 7 grams

Estimated Mash PH= 5.52

Overall water report:
Ca+2= 115.9
Mg+2= 29.8
Na+= 0.0
Cl- = 127.4
So4-2 =222.9
Alklanity = 26
Residual alkalinity-97.6
So4a-2/Cl- ratio is 1.7 = Little bitter

Hopefully this is enough informationto help lead me on the right track. Once again thanks for the help.
THanks Jake

Hey first of I wanted to thank you for the reply. I've been doing some reading but there's so much to learn about water adjustments and profiles. The recipe I'm planning to brew this Friday is the zombie dust clone here on the forums in the recipie section.

After my reading I'm wanting to try this brewday with RO water from the local grocery and attempt to build a decent profile for a light colored hoppy beer.

Please review what I've come up with as its my first time using any charts to try to create a certain profile.

I will be doing this biab, and will mash with full volume of 7 gallons. From the calculations I have added the following.
The one thing I'm totally uncertain about is if my values for my source water would be correct with RO water.

Source water: (how I have it input in the calculator )
Calcium =0
Magnesium =0
sodium =0
Chloride =0
Sulfate=0
Alkalinity As: bicarbonate
Bicarbonate =0
Ph=8

Water Additions:

gypsum= 5 grams
Epsom Salt= 8 grams
Calcium cholride= 7 grams

Estimated Mash PH= 5.52

Overall water report:
Ca+2= 115.9
Mg+2= 29.8
Na+= 0.0
Cl- = 127.4
So4-2 =222.9
Alklanity = 26
Residual alkalinity-97.6
So4a-2/Cl- ratio is 1.7 = Little bitter

Hopefully this is enough informationto help lead me on the right track. Once again thanks for the help.
THanks Jake

I would push the mash pH down closer to 5.4. It seems to produce better flavor without getting into harshness from the hops.

How do you feel the rest of the adjustments look? Do you feel it could at least be a good start in the right direction? Thanks Jake

Ah, I didn't look to closely at the rest. The sulfate level is suited for hoppy beers, but the amount of chloride paired with that sulfate could start to get 'minerally'. I prefer to keep chloride around 50 when boosting sulfate to high levels. Do not rely on the sulfate/chloride ratio to guide your additions. It is not very useful.

The magnesium level is getting up there and should be OK, but recognize that it can start to adversely affect flavor at slightly higher levels.

Thank you again for the reply I've made another revision with your suggestions. How does this sound?
Ca+2-- 99.0
Mg+2--18.0
Na+-----0.0
Cl- -----55.0
So4-2--242.0
2% acidulated malt.
Estimated Mash PH.= 5.45
the biggest change I've seen from this revision is now the residual alkalinity is now at -141 according to the spreadsheet. Is this an issue?
Please let me know how this all looks.
THanks Jake

That profile should better meet your objectives with a hoppy beer brew.

While RA influences mash pH, its numeric value is of no concern to brewers. Mash pH is all that matters. Don't worry about a negative RA.

Back