Please help with this IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
I decided I was going to brew more recipes than kits in 2012.

I want to brew up this recipe,

Homebrewers Association | Beer Recipe of the Week: Hoppiness is an IPA

I am doing all grain. I get any where from 73-76% efficiency on my system. Most time more towards the 73%

When I put the grains in Brewmasters warehouse brew builder with the efficiency set 73% I get OG of 1.079 instead of the 1.065. I lowered the base grain to 10 pounds and I get a OG of 1.064. Should I lower the other grains to balance it out?

It seems that using ten pounds of base grains will work well to lower the OG and the only thing else I see changing is the SRM from 11.14 to 10.69 So the only thing I see is the color being slightly lighter ( if even noticeable ) but really nothing to worry about as it falls with in the American IPA category.

Is the SRM the only thing that would change by not adjusting the specialty grains or is the flavor going to be unbalanced?

Any input is appreciated!!!

Merry Christmas to all.

The best think to do is put the recipe in as is into brewing software, Beersmith gives the percentages of each grain and you can adjust all things equally, it will also scale batches for you. If you give me your in the fermenter volume I can run the numbers for you.

_

I usually can't tell the difference between .010 gravity points in a beer. I've brewed IPAs, same hopping and same grain bill aside from the amount of 2 row with a difference of ~1% abv, and nobody's been able to discern the two.

But my personal experiences aside, you could very well drop the amount of 2 row down to get the desired gravity. The percentages of the other grains really shouldn't jump up that much comparatively.

According to beersmith for a 5.5 gallon batch, that recipe is at 67%, scaling up to your eff (74%) this is the grain bill.

2row- 11lbs 9ozs
Crystal 15- 14.5 ozs
Munich- 11ozs
Crystal 40- 4ozs

_

The best think to do is put the recipe in as is into brewing software, Beersmith gives the percentages of each grain and you can adjust all things equally, it will also scale batches for you. If you give me your in the fermenter volume I can run the numbers for you.

_

That would be awesome!!! In my fermenter would be 5 gallon.

In the future how would I use beer smith to do this? I have beer smith as well.

According to beersmith for a 5.5 gallon batch, that recipe is at 67%, scaling up to your eff (74%) this is the grain bill.

2row- 11lbs 9ozs
Crystal 15- 14.5 ozs
Munich- 11ozs
Crystal 40- 4ozs

_

ok But in my fermenter will be gallons. I'm sorry I am asking all these questions but I really want to be able to bring up my brewing skills in 2012

In the future how would I use beer smith to do this? I have beer smith as well.

Just put the recipe in, then mess with the eff % until you match the recipe you're trying to follow(if it's not provided). Then there's a scale recipe button in the top left corner(in BS II) you can then scale the recipe by size or eff.

_

Thanks. I was playing beer smith 2 and did see what your talking about. Had to head out for the family holiday dinner but will try and play with it more later.

Thanks again for the help.

I wanted to give an update. Every thing worked out perfect doing what you said wildwest450!!!!

Back