PLEASE HELP! Need help building recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFhover08

Reaction score
Hey all,
I brew almost entirely BIAB but was given this stack of ingredients from an associate. I think he intended to brew a Lager and some sort of ale but I'm not sure what his exact plans were. I'd like to use whatever is here to brew a 5 gallon Lager if possible. Please send any and all help. Ingredients listed below. If you have input for an Ale as well that would be appreciated.

Liquid Extract:
6lbs Pilsen Malt
3.5lbs Pilsen Malt
6lbs Amber Malt

Dry Extract:
3lbs Briess Sparkling Amber Malt

Grains:
1lb Briess Special Roasts

Hopps:
4oz Fuggle @3.4%
3oz Mt Hood @ 4.6%
1oz Czech Saaz @ 2%

Yeast:
1 package Saflager S-23
1 package Nottingham Ale Yeast

I just don't know how to piece together a recipe with the extract i.e. proportions and whatnot

The best way.... Learn about your malts and extracts.
I see you have Briess products, so finding data won't be hard because they have product data on the web. You'll need to calculate gravity and adjust volume, so a good brew calculator can get you started on the math - just fill in blanks and substitute ingredients and weight.
Grab a base recipe, then break it down in parts...
I've spent hours fudging numbers on Brewers Friend and it taught me a lot about malt/water/hop portions and possible substitutions. I like this particular online calculator because you can choose a rough style, then tweak the numbers to your preference.

Back