Please help my stupidity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padawan

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked over and over, i read lot's of posts and still can't find a clear answer. My question is how do i store beer in a keg? If someone could be kind enough to tell me how, the stuff i really need to know is :
1. do i leave gas on it ?
2. how much psi ?
2. won't beer just absorb the co2 and make the keg loose pressure ?

1. Yes, until it is finishes carbing to the level that you want it to. Then, as long as your keg doesn't leak, you are fine.....I do it all the time.
2. Depends on the style or what you want to do. See here for a chart.
3. Yes, that is the idea of carbonating beer and not it wont, unless, again, your keg has leak in it.

To just store it, or bulk condition at room temp, you can charge it up with about 20 psi and take it off the gas. Some of the CO2 will be absorbed into the beer, but not all. At some point the pressure in-solution will equalize with the pressure in the headspace, so there will always be some pressure left in the keg.

To just store it, or bulk condition at room temp, you can charge it up with about 20 psi and take it off the gas. Some of the CO2 will be absorbed into the beer, but not all. At some point the pressure in-solution will equalize with the pressure in the headspace, so there will always be some pressure left in the keg.

Thanks that's exactly what i wanted to know, thanks again:mug:

I've been kegging long enough to know that a freshly filled keg with about a quart of head space pressurized to 20 psi isn't going to have measurable pressure after a day. Indeed, if there is any pressure, it's coming from the CO2 that was already dissolved in the young beer from fermentation.

That said, on a good tight keg that seals with just bail pressure, that's not going to be a practical problem. But for the (apparently numerous) folk that have recalcitrant lid seals, that's not going to keep them tight...

Cheers!

Back