Please help brew has no flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klowe0419

Reaction score
Hello all I just bottled my caribou slobber all grain after 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary and I tasted a small bit the taste was weak and watery the OG was 1.054 and the FG was 1.010 I don't know what went wrong. My question is will carbonation add body and flavor and I'm storing in a dark room at 70 degrees . Please help I'm freaking lol

CTR08 said:
Let it sit. Try in about a month and report back.

Hahaha ouch... That's painful advise. I'm about to start my first batch of Caribou Slobber and this post caught my eye. I will be watching closely too see how your batch turns out. Hope it works out for you!!

If you aren't used to tasting flat beer, then I wouldn't worry. Carbonation adds that zip you are used to and really changes the feel of a brew.

If you aren't happy with the body after that, then you should look at your mash temps for the next batch. Lower mash temps make a more fermentable wort and end with lower gravity, higher ABV and give a thinner impression.

billl said:
Lower mash temps make a more fermentable wort and end with lower gravity, higher ABV and give a thinner impression.

So your saying that his brewing temp could have been low? For example I am planning on brewing in a room that's is about 62-65 degrees. Is this too low? It's jut not clear why his batch tasted the way it did.

What billl is saying is referring to the temperature of the mash.
(has nothing to do with fermentation temperature)
Did you do all grain?
A low mash temp will result in comparatively high alcohol and low body.

I think the key is going to be time. Try it once it's all carb'd up, could be delicious yet.

So your saying that his brewing temp could have been low? For example I am planning on brewing in a room that's is about 62-65 degrees. Is this too low? It's jut not clear why his batch tasted the way it did.

with all-grain, when you soak your grain ( mash ), you have to be careful of the temp of your mash. when you soak it in the cooler, keg, whatever, that overall temp matters. if you soak it at 148 degrees, you'll have a thin, higher-alcohol beer. if you soak it at 156, you'll have a sweeter, maltier, lower-alcohol beer. the higher the temp, the less sugar breaks down ( in a certain range ).

Yup. higher mash temp equals more color & flavor from more long chain sugars being produced. Lower mash temp is the opposite
With AE beers,the less extract used at the beginning of the boil,& the more added late in the boil or at flame out,the lighter the color,& the cleaner the flavor. Regarless of brewing style,higher ferment temps will make normally produced fermentation by products into off flavors. Lower ferment temps (within the yeasts' optimal range) will make for cleaner beer in the sense of less esters from the yeast being produced.
More precisely in your case,The beer is what we call green,or young beer that has very undeveloped flavors/aromas. The malt flavor will be quite weak,& the hops will taste rather sharp & undefined. When the beer is primed & bottled,the recommended time /temp of 3-4 weeks at 70F or a lil better will produce co2 in the head space. Not to mention,condition the flavors & aromas into their final form. 1-2 weeks fridge time will get the co2 in the head space into solution better than warm temps can. And any chill haze from dissolved proteins that show up when the beers cool down in the fridge will settle out 3-7 days after chilling them.
Two weeks fridge time gives clearer beer,thicker head,& longer lasting,fine bubbled carbonation. What does all this long haired gobbldygook mean to you?? Clearer beer in the glass with big thick head & plenty of carbonation to the bottom of the glass. And def way better flavor & aroma.

Thanks man so are u saying that I should condition for 2 weeks at 70 and then 2 weeks in the fridge of all of the conditioning in the fridge

Thanks man so are u saying that I should condition for 2 weeks at 70 and then 2 weeks in the fridge of all of the conditioning in the fridge

You should condition a MINIMUM of 3 weeks at or above 70 degrees, and if there's still "no flavor" try them again in another 3 weeks after that.

Weak and watery is a pretty typical description of flat, green beer. You'll be amazed at what carbonation and a little age wiill do for your beer.

Thanks guys I'm starting to understand what went wrong with my first batch I carbed in my basement around 50 - 60 degrees it was watery and weak but was still carbonated idk

Bring it up to where it's warm, and leave it alone a few more weeks, let the yeast wake up and finish the job, then come back and tell us how it all turned out fine. Because it will.

Temp was def too cold. Don't carb at low ferment temps. It won't work that way. 70f or a lil better for 3-4 weeks flat works on average gravity beers.

Latest posts

Back