Please explain how starch conversion works

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Gordon_Freeman

Reaction score
Hey guys.

In the absence of adding enzymes to your brew, what is the process that converts starches to sugars? Does this process happen with all grain only, or does it happen when brewing with DME also?

Thanks for any help on this

http://www.bruichladdich.com/malting_process.htm

So basically the malting process produces enzymes (alpha amylase and beta amylase) which are capable of converting starches to sugars. During a mash, specific temperatures are intentionally reached which activate these enzymes and make the conversion possible. No enzymes are ever added but without the malting process they wouldn't exist. Just Google mashing and malting. I'm sure there are other threads on here that do a better job with the description than me. In both LME and DME the grains have already been mashed and the resulting liquids concentrated either into syrup or powder. The more research you do, the more complicated it sounds but it's really not that bad. All you do is mix your grain with hot water to reach a mash temp of around 150f and let the enzymes do their thing. Do a little more reading and give it a shot. You will make better beer than you ever have.

You need a Base Malt to convert itself and the adjuncts.
As far as DME and LME, those are just worts that have been concentrated and then dried in DME's case. It's all post mash, so no, nothing is being converted there. It's all happened before you bought it.

Yeah that's an interesting question though. Would rice, for example, have enzymes if germinated and then dried? Wheat? Rye? Potatoes? Corn?

rice needs a special fungi to produce the enzyme that breaks the starches down.
If you are making sake.

In regular beer production, starch conversion is done my enzymes, alpha and beta amylase. Malting the grain produces the enzymes that are then activated during the mash.

Adjuncts are unmalted and have no enzymes, and have to use the enzymes from the base malt to convert the starches to sugar. However, the starches have to be gelatinized before the enzymes can do much work on them. That is why you find adjuncts such as Flaked Barley, Flaked Corn, Flaked Rice, Flaked Oats etc. They are steam pressed through a roller mill that gelatinizes the starch in the process, making it suitable for mashing. If not, you have to boil the adjunct, exploding the starch grains and making them usable. Look up the Cereal Mash process for that procedure.

Adjunct grains can be malted, without the need for the extra process, but some are either not produced commercially or hard to come by. I have a little oat malt that I have used before.

Enzymes are not used up in the conversion process (although the mash heat will eventually denature them), so a base malt can convert itself and reasonable amounts of adjuncts.

When we talk about a base malt, we mean malted grain. Not malt extract.

There are, however, malt extracts that have enzymes added. But those are for baking and no one who has tried to make beer with them has posted any results.

Even a DME base?

The concentrating process of Malt Extracts destroys the enzymes. Just like Boiling, because they boil it, then use a low pressure chamber to concentrate either syrup or DME. Malt extract will not convert starch into sugars.

(I have to keep telling a friend of mine this....constantly)

Back