PLC Controlled System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kernel_Lauter

Reaction score
Kernel Lauter AKA ‘The Kernel’ is a 3 tier, gravity fed all grain brewing system with sophisticated PLC control all mounted on a stand with caster wheels which was fabricated by my dad. (Plug Forged Iron :mug: )

rock2-673592-67363.jpg

I work for an automation company and I developed the taste for ale while on the road at exhibitions and that’s where my interest in making beer began. I started the usual way, using kits then I started to work my way up to all grain brewing. I then started thinking about how I could use what I’ve learnt from my job to help me with making beer.

My college project consisted of a single vessel BIAB brewing system where I controlled the mashing temperatures with an Arduino. I then decided to upscale to this 3 tier system using Allen Bradley control equipment. I can control the entire system and see all the relevant information via a touch screen display which communicates with a Micro820 PLC over ethernet. The programming software for designing the graphics for the display and programming the PLC is free :ban:

The display screens which I developed.

hmi_1-67361-67364.jpg

hmi_2-67362-67365.jpg

There are various different ways of controlling temperature with this Micro820 controller (simple Hysteresis and PID loop control) so I opted for hysteresis for the HLT as strike temperatures only really need to be close and with this method the temperature stabilises quicker. I then decided to use the PID function to control the mashing temperatures as this is where accuracy is most important. I didn’t think I’d stop there, I decided to have an automated mashing process which would not only allow me to have a complex mashing schedule but the PLC would manage it all for me if I dictated the temperature and time required.

There are some other neat features of the Micro820, it has a PWM output (pulse width modulation) which basically switches on and off very fast which allows the heating element in the MT and the BK to operate at various different temperatures rather than just on or off which I thought would be a great feature for preventing scorched wort/grains. The MT heating element sits under the false bottom with the temperature sensor and the wort is also recirculated constantly from the bottom of the MT to the top via a small pump. This helps with distributing the temperature for a more accurate reading and also uses the grain bed/false bottom as a filter so I get clear wort.

Micro820

micro820-67360.jpg

I’m in the process of adding ultra-sonic level sensors so I’ll be able to tell how much fluid is in the HLT and BK. I’m hoping to write a program which will take a record of the before and after fluid levels (before and after mashing and after boiling) and let the PLC make a suggestion of how much water I’ll need for the next brew based on the losses from the previous. I was thinking about making this system fully automated using motorised or solenoid valves but I enjoy the interaction aspect.

I hope you find this interesting. it’s been great fun building this. :tank:

I am confused. You got a job in automation and developed a liking to beer and then when to college and developed your system? Looks cool and an interesting project. I use this stuff at work but have no idea how to program it.

Hi. Yes I did an engineering apprenticeship :) I can see why it confused you.

It's under constant development. What is it you do in your job?

Too cool! i am working with Rockwell for my next build! Getting RSlinx to work after a reboot is no fun!

-Altrez

I started a Micro830 project but have been distracted with work and aviation projects. How did you setup the PWM portion of the control scheme ? I had plans of cascading PIDs for the mash control. I need to get back to this project !

Paul

There is a PWM function block which you can just drag and drop into the ladder logic. I used the output from the PID function block to adjust the duty cycle of the PWM output.

There is a PID function block (an add-on) to use available for free from Rockwell's sample code website. It's much easier to use compared to the one built into the software but it is only for use with either thermocouple and RTD type inputs.

What do you mean by cascade the PID instruction?

I was looking to use a RIM system to heat the mash . One PID would control the outlet of the RIM heater . Its setpoint would come from a PID that monitors the mash temperature but would be bound to small range around desired setpoint and ramped between mash steps.

For those interested, I will eventually be uploading schematics and the programming code.

Thanks for sharing.

I've been designing/programming industrial control systems for the past 30 years and did not realize the micro850 existed. I mainly use the AB Controllogix line of PLC's. Looks like a great fit for a automated home brewery.

I am still in shock that AB offers free software for the micro850. What are you using for the operator interface?

My experience with windows based operator interface hardware/software is that they become obsolete within 8 years which require the end user to spend $ in upgrading both the hardware and software.

The operator interface is the PanelView Component. There is a newer range called the PanelView800 but this application can be downloaded to either of them. Yes, that does seem to be how it is!

I brewed an Australian Pale Ale today. It went well and I'm looking forwards to trying some :D

I have access to a free bank of Click PLC's and power supply, so I'm planning to do something similar to this for my BIAB setup.

I'd like to go all electric, have 3 different mash schedules input, all with customizable temperature inputs via touchscreen wireless HMI's, an input for boil length, whirlpool time, a hop schedule timer, pump switches, and solenoids. This is what happens when you make friends with a nerdy boss with a basement full of stuff.

Did someone say controls? I have about 8 different systems on my wall in my office just to play with.

Honestly, it's easier to purchase something that is designed for what we want to do, but it is fun to play.

2016-08-05 12.10.02.jpg

I have access to a free bank of Click PLC's and power supply, so I'm planning to do something similar to this for my BIAB setup.

I'd like to go all electric, have 3 different mash schedules input, all with customizable temperature inputs via touchscreen wireless HMI's, an input for boil length, whirlpool time, a hop schedule timer, pump switches, and solenoids. This is what happens when you make friends with a nerdy boss with a basement full of stuff.

Lucky you!

I would definitely recommend using a recirculating pump. It helps distribute the temperature throughout the vessel and helps to clear the wort as it uses the grain bed/grain bag as a filter. Have to be careful though, the element sits under the false bottom on my system and if I draw too much wort too fast, it sits on the top of the grain bed leaving the element vulnerable to heating up in dry conditions. I can contol the speed of my pump which helps with this.

Did someone say controls? I have about 8 different systems on my wall in my office just to play with.

Honestly, it's easier to purchase something that is designed for what we want to do, but it is fun to play.

Nice. Of course it's be easier but where's the fun in that!

A quick update on the Kernel.

I've added the ultra sonic sensors into the program and changed the HMI graphics to display this information and made a few other changes to the program. I've just got to figure out a way of attaching the sensors to the HLT and BK.

I'm also fitting some connectors for the element power leads and sensors so I can easily detach them for removal of the vessels.

I've brewed up my own recipe "Smooth Pale Ale" which I'll be bottling this weeked. It'll be interesting to see what the addition of flaked oats brings.

Cool build. I've recently switched game plan for my setup from switches and relays to a touchscreen and a PLC after locating the components for an irresistibly low price. I am looking forward to seeing your schematics for many reasons, but one in particular. What are you using from your PWM output to your heaters? Just a SSR? Or are you using some sort of MOSFET driven interface? Thanks in advance! Cheers! :mug:

Cool build. I've recently switched game plan for my setup from switches and relays to a touchscreen and a PLC after locating the components for an irresistibly low price. I am looking forward to seeing your schematics for many reasons, but one in particular. What are you using from your PWM output to your heaters? Just a SSR? Or are you using some sort of MOSFET driven interface? Thanks in advance! Cheers! :mug:

Hi.

Yes I'm using a SSR, it does get very warm though so I have an overrated one with a heatsink and a fan in the enclusre just to be safe, I wouldn't want it packing up on me.

The PLC I'm using only has one PWM output and I wanted to use this for the mash tun and to control how agressive the boil is in the boil kettle. So, I've used a relay to switch the PWM output between the two elements as well as another relay to disconnect the power. These relays are energised via digital outputs from the PLC which is controlled from the touch screen.

So it's PWM output => SSR => Power Relay => Switch Over Relay => Both Heating Elements.

It'll probably make more sense when you see the schematic. I should have some spare time coming up so I'll get the schematics up first for you.

After much consideration and a little bit of influence from the wife, I've decided to modify the Kernel into a more compact version.

After a few stuck mashes and grain getting into my boil kettle, I decided to include a grain bag on top of the false bottom which worked great. I could then remove the grain bag from the mash tun then continue with the boiling therefore I didn't require a 3rd vessel. With a 2 tier system I can then make the foot print of the stand smaller which means I can get it out the door easier!

I'm planning on moving from a bag to a stainless mesh basket and I'm still going to include level sensors to workout out required water and boil off volumes.

This new setup is more in keeping with BIAB method. Can anyone suggest any drawbacks to doing it this way?

I'll still upload the previous program if anyone wants it.

A bit :off: but has anyone ever brewed a Westvleteren 12 clone?

A bit :off: but has anyone ever brewed a Westvleteren 12 clone?

I brewed the Northern Brewer Kit back in June. My goal is to age it for at least 8 months so I haven't tried it yet.

Unfortunately I also brewed a BCS clone that I am letting sit for one year. So I am out of home brew to drink, fortunately I have a Belgian Tripel in the primary.

I'll upload them soon, I don't know if or how well I'll be able to attach a zip file to this thread though.

I think it got stuck because to pump flow was too high. Im only using a small dc pump with a cheap pwm circuit which I got off ebay to control the speed. Once you turn the speed anywhere below 75%, the flow seems to stop. I did throttle the flow a bit as well which helped but I was too worried about the heating element being run dry to walk away and leave it. I suppose if I used a 230v motor with a proper speed controller, this would over come it but that's more expense. The addition of a grain bag solved it funnily enough and it gave me more control over the grains. Never any grains in the final wort and the grain bag acts as a great recirculation filter.

You could use something like Dropbox. Just upload the files to Dropbox and then share the link.

Back