Playing the debate game of a CFC or Therminator....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schupaul

Reaction score
Has anyone here made a CFC out of 60ft of coil vs. the standard 25'? If so how much more efficient is it? I am debating just bitting the bullet and buying a therminator or making a monster CFC chiller.

I have to say I'm absolutely impressed with my plate chiller. I wouldn't go any other way. Not saying a 60' CFC wouldn't work fine, but efficiency isn't going to be linearly proportional to length...

I have to say I'm absolutely impressed with my plate chiller. I wouldn't go any other way. Not saying a 60' CFC wouldn't work fine, but efficiency isn't going to be linearly proportional to length...

Are you using a shirron or therminator. My concern is, one pass cooling. I live in Texas and the ground water I am sure isn't that cool. Haven't checked it but should

I just started using a plate chiller from DudaDiesel and am impressed by how easy it is to use and how compact it is. Cleaning was a breeze with flushing oxyclean through it in both directions from the keggle. Using a false bottom and hop bag kept the debris to a minimum. From what I can tell and have read the Therminator is just a more expensive rebranding of the same device. Having it attached to my stand is one less thing I have to lug around on brew day.

Are you using a shirron or therminator. My concern is, one pass cooling. I live in Texas and the ground water I am sure isn't that cool. Haven't checked it but should

Shirron. I'm not sure what temperature my garden hose water is, but I just gravity-feed wort through the chiller and it comes out around ~72-74 degrees. It's fast enough I wouldn't be upset to run it through twice if I had to, but I'm quite happy with what I get.

Not sure how any other chiller would do better with warm ground water.

I also was looking at duda-diesel's heat exhanger but am concerned with the cleaning factor. I am making a CFC now and wil try it first. Like I said the cleaning is my main concern. I plan to bag my hops...but when I make a raspberry/blueberry wheat I plan to use purified preserves which eventually make their way to the chiller...what then?

I don't use a pump, and my kettle hasn't got a spigot on it. After boiling, I dump the hot wort into a pail with a spigot, and lift that up a few feet. It then gravity feeds through the chiller into a carboy. If I used unbagged hops or anything else that I worry might mess up the chiller, I dump out of the kettle through a strainer.

Sophisticated types with fancy kettles or pumps might need to think of some other way to strain sticky goo out before chilling -- I can only imagine the havoc that unfiltered blueberry preserves could do to any chiller, CFC or plate.

A 25' CFC gets the wort down to within a degree or two of the coolant temp. How much better are you expecting?

Just contemplating the cost factor vs. cooling effect and size. I want the best for my buck. Storage space is also an issue. Starting to get slim.

Sorry my mailbox was full about the sight glass combo. Did you have any yet or could you tell me where and what to get to make one? Thanks.

Im actually planning on spending my $$$ on a March pump so I can use the Whirlpool IC method (as opposed to buying a CFC or PC)

This will accomplish 2 things for me - faster chilling and having a pump for ease of transfer :)
-Me

I just started using a plate chiller from DudaDiesel and am impressed by how easy it is to use and how compact it is. Cleaning was a breeze with flushing oxyclean through it in both directions from the keggle. Using a false bottom and hop bag kept the debris to a minimum. From what I can tell and have read the Therminator is just a more expensive rebranding of the same device. Having it attached to my stand is one less thing I have to lug around on brew day.

What size did you get from them. They have pretty good prices.

efficiency isn't going to be linearly proportional to length...

This is absolutely true. I had a role of 50 feet and used it all since I had it on hand and didn't anticipate using for anything else... might as well stick it in the CFC. The best thing I did was start recirculating the wort - a practice a lot of us use.

I have a therminator as well and prefer my CFC as far as ease of cleaning and faith that it got clean. Right now my therminator sits gathering dust.

This is absolutely true. I had a role of 50 feet and used it all since I had it on hand and didn't anticipate using for anything else... might as well stick it in the CFC. The best thing I did was start recirculating the wort - a practice a lot of us use.

I have a therminator as well and prefer my CFC as far as ease of cleaning and faith that it got clean. Right now my therminator sits gathering dust.

Wanna sell it? I have a Shirron plate chiller and I love it. I do have to say that I do take measures to ensure that no crud goes through the chiller.

Latest posts

Back