Plate chiller/pump question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5B-brewing

Reaction score
Just picked up a Duda Diesel B3-23A 20-plate chiller. Got a chugger pump for Christmas. Quick and easy question as I set up for brew day this weekend: when connecting the two between the boil kettle and the fermenter, which comes first? Does the wort run from the kettle to the chiller or to the pump? So basically, is the pump pulling wort through the chiller or is it pushing it through?

Thanks!

Run to the pump first so it's easier to get rid of the air in the line. Once you get the pump pumping then hook it to the chiller. In fact, I would run from the pump back to the kettle for 5 minutes so your filter/false bottom can settle and filter out any big pieces of hops etc. Then go to the chiller. That'll keep from clogging the chiller. Your chiller will probably chill enough to go straight into your fermenter but you might just run it from the chiller back into the kettle for 15 minutes and cool the whole kettle down this way you will trap the cold break proteins in the kettle.

Just picked up a Duda Diesel B3-23A 20-plate chiller. Got a chugger pump for Christmas. Quick and easy question as I set up for brew day this weekend: when connecting the two between the boil kettle and the fermenter, which comes first? Does the wort run from the kettle to the chiller or to the pump? So basically, is the pump pulling wort through the chiller or is it pushing it through?

Thanks!

I have the 30-plate. Kettle->Pump In->Pump-out->Chiller->Kettle. I recirc back into the kettle until the kettle is down to about 80F then divert into the fermenter. The chiller will drop the boiling wort to about 70F in a single pass but I recirc to generate the cold break. I use a hop bag in my kettle and have never had the chiller clog.

Back