Plastic PVC Pipe 5 gal mini keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hold the presses... I just remembered this collapsable 5 gallon container I use for water when camping:

Reliance 5 Gallon Fold-A-Carrier from Campmor

The bag just collapses as you drain it... no oxygen intake to worry about. Now the case is F'ing closed my friends. It solves every one of the OP's requirements.

I seem to remember someone from another board saying they used one of those for cask ales. So it's at least a theory that has been proven out in the real world.

Tried the Fold-A-Carrier design a few decades ago. Contrary to Bobby M's assessments I had already made hundreds of cases before the lad was even born. Thing is, the technology, processes and even the use of ingredients have changed considerably. Seems there is far more emphasis upon the techno aspects today both in terms of the processes and the hardware. Actually, I wasn't even seeking to "debate" so much as to have some thoughtful, respectful discussion and brainstorming. Trouble with the bag back then was that the flexibility of the walls could lead to agitation and the starting of residuals fermenting a bit so that the bag can become round or blow. As for "second ever batch, acclimation, and "troll" talk, simply didn't realize I was entering such elite space. I brew and enjoy good beers, have made virtually every possible variety, have travelled the world in search of great flavors and do it for the simple enjoyment and relaxation. Technique wise, back in the early 70s, things may have been a bit less refined, but then I believe folks who created those very great brew styles you enjoy were also perhaps a bit less "refined". If anything, I have found that just like in the wine field where for years the "BIG" wines dictated a taste akin to chewing oak before the pendulum returned to one of balance, many of today's microbrewed beers have so much hops and such complex menus, often with high alcohol and flavorings for the sake of novelty, that they are a long way from being what their names purport. Good news. Bad news. Who knows? Bless you all.

If the stuff is made to transport water I would think it safe as it has been used for years in home plumbing. The walls are VERY thick on the larger diameters.

Check that pipe, it's probably marked DWV. That means it's not intended for drinking water or pressure.

Let's remember if someone was able to get scraps from a construction site this would be way cheaper,

I work for likely the biggest PVC pipe fitting manufacturer in the country. I could get everything free. :) But even at free, there are other factors that would make me not want to use it. The gas in and liquid out workings for one. Cleaning and sanitizing is another.

As far as the carbonation goes though. You could even force carb. Plastic pipe is stronger than you think.

I like the collapsible bag with spigot better because of the no oxygen introduction thing.

+1. Maybe you could reuse some old box wine systems. Maybe you could find a restaurant that would give you one of the larger commercial size ones. If you are working with flat, or fairly flat beer this should work fine. Just out of cursiosity I do know that you can disassemble the spigot of some styles so you could refill them (or get the last drop out)

I have a recollection, from over 10 yrs ago, of picking up a "growler" from the Rubicin brewery in Sacromento, that was in fact a small collapsable plastic container with a spigot

You can buy new bag-in-box systems from some winemaker supply outfits. No worries about sanitation if you do that.

Latest posts

Back