Plastic Hydrometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knew where to find a plastic hydrometer.

My Dad use to have one, and probably bought it in the '70s... basically was a flat piece of plastic with the numbered embedded, much like a ruler for school, and the bottom had the weights inside the plastic.

Recall it working just fine, numbers were much easier to read because there was no glass tube around it.

A curved piece of paper inside a glass tube was a bit harder to read, glass is easier to break and always wondered how accurate they are given that well, it's a curved piece of paper inside a tube that might have shifted when being made.

Sadly he got rid of his stuff before I started getting into brewing. Never been able to find one the same. Such a good design I'm surprised they aren't everywhere.

Yikes!
For $65.25, you can afford to break a few of the cheap glass ones, or spend the $50 on a refractometer.

Ya, not the same at all... plastic, but still a tube.

Ones I am looking for were solid white plastic, flat, about 3/4" wide and 1/8" thick with the scale on it. Easy to read because flat and the beer physically touched the lines of the scale.

Back