Plastic for SS Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
Just started brewing 15 gallon batches and I'm looking at buying another larger fermenter. I already have a keg converted to a fermenter and was looking at getting a conical. I've been saving my yeast as much as I can and a conical would make it much easier. My birthday is in September and I'll probably get some money. Was thinking of putting that aside for a conical. So my question is, should I save for the Stainless or just go with the plastic?

Plastic is cheaper and will work just fine. If you end up scratching it, though, you'll never trust that it's sanitized again.

My father-in-law puts a lot of fermented beverages through his 15 gallon plastic conical, loves it to death, and has avoided scratching it for over a year now.

Plastic will work but I definitely recommend the stainless. You will get years of use out of it and it won't absorb the aroma of the brew the way plastic does and will not leach any possibly harmful petro chemicals like PCB etc. I stared with plastic buckets then glass carboys now stainless conical and it's the best of the three for cleaning and sanitizing as well as removal of beer and trub.

I figure with birthday money I will probably only have to fund about half of the conical. I think I'll go with a Brewhemoth. I like the hoplup and chiller idea.

Latest posts

Back