Plastic fermenter won't seal, how long as my mead safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caliper

Reaction score
I have a 6.5 gallon "ale pail" (ale will likely never touch it, but anyways...) that I recently started a simple mead in. I ended up with 4.5 gallons of must, so there is significant headspace, but it's a new fermentation so it's going strong.

However, even this new fermentation can't keep up with the leak rate from the lid! This is my first time using this bucket and I'm disappointed. I have yet to see one bubble from the airlock, the co2 generation will push the airlock up part way and just hold it there. There is enough leakage that I can smell the must from outside the bucket though. I have tried wrapping the edge of the lid in duct tape to no avail.

So, how long through the fermentation is it safe to leave my must in this bucket? My plan was to eventually transferr to a 3g carboy for clearing/aging, with the excess going into a smaller glass container for topping up at racking, but I hadn't planned that until the fermentation had slowed down, which I'm not sure will be a good idea anymore.

Once fermentation is finished, it's important to get it into a carboy with limited headspace. A bucket is fine during fermentation, and makes nutrient additions easy, but it need to be in an appropriately sized carboy after that.

Since it's actively fermenting, you have plenty of time. I'd get it into a carboy when it gets under 1.010 SG.

Should I take any special precautions to avoid a stuck fermentation when racking at 1.01? Starting from 1.093 OG.

I am relatively new to mead brewing. So take this with a grain of salt. I would agree get it in a carboy as soon as primary is pretty well done.

In the future consider using a glass carboy for primary. It seals well and for "simple" mead's works great.

I have had a similar problem with those plastic buckets not sealing well. Ended up tossing them and to date completing 5 "simple" Meads and or Metheglins in 6.5 Gallon carboys for Primary. Filled either to the shoulder or just below. Originally was worried about too vigorous a ferment and used a blow off tube. Have had no issues with primary and now just attach a simple air lock. I do take the precaution of fermenting relatively slowly at 65 Deg F using Red Stars Cote Des Blonc Yeast and putting it in a large plastic bin "just in case". A side benefit is that the glass allows for a nice view of the ferment process. Nutrient addition is a bit of a challenge as you have to be REALLY careful and take your time when de-gassing and whipping air into the Must. First time I did it in the carboy I created a bit of a mess. Glad to have had the foresight of using the plastic bin.

Good luck with your Brew.

You dont need an airtight lid during primary, we just use a cloth with an elastic bungie around it to keep the bugs out, makes stirring it, taking sg reading, making additions so much easier and no worries, lots of CO2 is protecting it in primary. Some people say to move it into secondary anywhere from 1.020 down to when its finished below 1.00. After all, this aint beer:) WVMJ

I agree. I use a plastic bucket for primary with a loose fitting lid. Makes nutrient additions easy. Degas and I would recommend step feeding nutrient additions. I did this with a cyser starting at 1.100 and it went fantastic. Burned through fermentation with no slowing at all.

Well, racked the mead today. Now in one 3g and one 1g carboy for topping up later. Six days since pitching yeast, SG is down to 1.012. I gave it a swirl before racking so ended up with almost no lees in the bucket. I guess that just means more lees later, but the carboys are bubbling away nicely now so I think all will be well. Still annoyed that the large bucket doesn't seal. My 2g buckets have always sealed nicely.

What kind of bucket is it. I actually had a talk with the owner of the LHBS and there is a fermentor now designed not to seal. The lid itself is designed as a waterless airlock. Not sure how well they work but it's what I am currently using for beer and mead.

It is a "Brewers Best" Ale Pail. The top has a bung for the airlock, so I naturally assumed it should seal... I will ask at the shop when I'm back next.

I have 2 Minibrew conical 25 gallon fermenters. They do not seal at all. Lids fit loosely.
A buddy who started me in brewing was skeptical, as are many others.

Before I bought them I spoke with the company and did some research and they said the o2 barrier protects the beer from infection.

Some commercial brewers use open fermentation.

Back