Plastic Fermenter Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paganknight

Reaction score
I was in my local bar picking up some bottles the owner was saving for me when i got into a conversation with a older Homebrewer. and he said to clean the stains out of Plastic water Bottles the he ueses cheep Denture cleaner like Poladent tabs He said 6 or 8 in a five gal bottle of warm water and let set for a few days then rince.

Any thoughts on this :drunk:

I could see this working to clean the vessel, but it certainly will not sanitize it. I'd be concerned though with any scents/flavors associated with it though. A good soak with oxy-clean free does the trick for me. I then sanitize with star san.

JLem said:
I could see this working to clean the vessel, but it certainly will not sanitize it. I'd be concerned though with any scents/flavors associated with it though. A good soak with oxy-clean free does the trick for me. I then sanitize with star san.

+1 Oxyclean and StarSan

+2 on Oxyclean and star san. I keep a spray bottle of start san close at hand at all times. Anything I touch during brew time gets a spritz. Oxyclean will remove the beer stone and sludge build up but must be sanitized prior to use. Also rinse carefully when using Oxyclean or any type of PBW to insure you got it all out of your stuff. It has a very low threshold for detection by nose and taste. Brew on, and enjoy.
Bob

It's really the same cleaning principal as using oxyclean. It's an oxygen based cleanser that uses bubbles to lift crap up. I can't see why it wouldn't work, but they usually have flavorings and other stuff in them too, and that means more rinsing.

Plus it seems it would be more expensive then even the cheapest dollar store generic oxyclean.

There's nothing inherently wrong, just that it doesn't seem overly practical.

Ya i went to the store and you are right the price is a bit higher than Oxyclean and most of the ones i looked at did have sent/flavor. so not so good but would work in a pinch

Back