Plastic fermenter absorbing aromas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topend

Reaction score
Racked a tripel this morning from plastic fermenter to secondary for aging. Cleaned out the fermenter for a pale ale i brewed this evening. Opened up the sanitized fermenter and got big whiff of banana from the Belgian yeast. Resanitized, which helped a bit, but fermenter still has that aroma.

Anyone have issues with plastic fermenters absorbing aromas, and how do you combat it?

Racked a tripel this morning from plastic fermenter to secondary for aging. Cleaned out the fermenter for a pale ale i brewed this evening. Opened up the sanitized carboy and got big whiff of banana from the Belgian yeast. Resanitized, which helped a bit, but fermenter still has that aroma.

Anyone have issues with plastic fermenters absorbing aromas, and how do you combat it?

An overnight soak in hot Oxyclean or PBW followed by a thorough air drying will usually remove 99% of any residual odors. Cold water and bleach is another alternative. IMO, it's near impossible to remove all odors 100%, but you can reduce them to a very insignificant level.

I use glass carboys, and a plastic bottling bucket. So if the plastic fermenter is absorbing aroma from your beer, it's not going to be in the beer anymore, right?

I use plastic bucket fermenters. Yes, they all have an aroma when empty and cleaned. The aroma of delicious, delicious beer. And the problem would be......

Same here! I did a ipa with citra hops and that aroma stayed in the bucket. So i just walked around with the bucket over my head!

rico567 said:
I use plastic bucket fermenters. Yes, they all have an aroma when empty and cleaned. The aroma of delicious, delicious beer. And the problem would be......

Didn't necessarily want the banana aroma in my pale ale. :) It did smell incredible though, and I can't wait to taste the tripel that left the aroma.

Latest posts

Back